Can I Upgrade?

MrJMannMC

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
I have an alienware x51 r3 with an intel core i5-6400 processor, an nvidia geforce gtx 960, 8 gigs of ram, and a 1 tb hard drive. I believe my power supply is 330 watts but im not sure about that. I want to upgrade my geforce gtx 960 to a 1060. Would my current power supply allow for that upgrade?

Solution

you first need to get the 330w power brick

then yes, you can get the reference 1060

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
If that's the actual power supply, no. The recommend PSU for 1060 is 400W. Theoretically you could but you would be cutting it extremely close as the specs say the power draw is 120W, so at load that's half the PSU there assuming its a good PSU and actually delivers its full load.

Looking into it further, I doubt that's what the PSU is, since the 960 has the same draw specs as the 1060. I'll try to find out what PSU that desktop has and let you know.

MrJMannMC

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

I read the wrong line on my power supply. It is actually a 330 watt. Would that be sufficient? My x51 runs just fine with the current parts and the 330 watt power supply.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
So apparently that thing works more like an Xbox than an actual computer and has an external power supply?

I guess theoretically you COULD upgrade, but I am really not sure, that thing is more console than computer.

Open it up and see if you can take out the graphics at all, I highly doubt you could just stick a new card in it there's probably tight space restrictions and cooling solutions.

MrJMannMC

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

The alienware x51 r3 is entirely upgradeable from what ive seen. Yes the power supply is external. And space shouldnt be an issue because there are video's of people putting 1060's into the x51. All i need to know was if my power supply would support it. From what you are saying, i am gathering that it is possible but not going to be flawless. Is that a safe assumption?

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
I would assume that until you actually get it running and know for sure. Your best bet would be to find something the same dimension as the current card or smaller, with the same power plug, and not overclocked. My best guess is a founders edition or a mini.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you first need to get the 330w power brick

then yes, you can get the reference 1060

Solution