[SOLVED] Can I use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter to install gpu?

Coldburnout50

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
So I’m new to building computers and I have built my first one. I decided to upgrade my gpu and install a xfx R9 390 amd radeon. When installing I noticed that I had a 6 pin pcie that would fit but my psu doesn’t have a cable that is 8 pin for the other side. I looked online and noticed that there are 6 pin pcie to 8 pin adapters. I have an extra pcie 6 pin cable from my psu and was wondering if I could use this adapter to connect to my gpu.

picture of pins: View: https://imgur.com/a/5HIYd93

picture with 6 pin connected:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/wbrIEmQ

Solution
You need an 8 pin.

This PSU dates from the bad, old days of Rosewill, before they tried to sell competent PSUs. This is an ancient, group-regulated, Solytech-made PSU.

You need a new PSU. An R9 390 can spike near 300W. This is an inappropriate PSU to pair with this GPU. This might be adequate enough if this were a lower power card that doesn't require supplementary power, like a 1050 Ti or a 1650, but this is a hard no. And it would be hard no even if this power supply had two 8-pin connectors.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can use an adapter if you're trying to fry your components. PCIE adapters are a common source of fires and are almost never recommended. Pretty much any PSU that doesn't have an 8-pin connection isn't one you actually want powering a discrete GPU. But for a more detailed response, you'll have to provide the exact PSU you're using.

Reactions: Coldburnout50

Coldburnout50

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
You can use an adapter if you're trying to fry your components. PCIE adapters are a common source of fires and are almost never recommended. Pretty much any PSU that doesn't have an 8-pin connection isn't one you actually want powering a discrete GPU. But for a more detailed response, you'll have to provide the exact PSU you're using.
I’m using a rosewill 500W RD500S 2SB

This one? It has only 372W on 12V rail.
Xfx R9 390 requires 500W PSU minimum. Xfx recommends 550W psu.
Get a new PSU.
s-l1600.jpg

Coldburnout50

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
Get a new PSU.
s-l1600.jpg
Get a new PSU.
s-l1600.jpg

Here’s the link of the one I’m using

also what psu would you recommend? Also another question is do I need the 6 pin connected and the 8 pin to power that gpu?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You need an 8 pin.

This PSU dates from the bad, old days of Rosewill, before they tried to sell competent PSUs. This is an ancient, group-regulated, Solytech-made PSU.

You need a new PSU. An R9 390 can spike near 300W. This is an inappropriate PSU to pair with this GPU. This might be adequate enough if this were a lower power card that doesn't require supplementary power, like a 1050 Ti or a 1650, but this is a hard no. And it would be hard no even if this power supply had two 8-pin connectors.

Reactions: Coldburnout50
Solution