Question Can I use a NVMe SSD slot to PCIe adapter to delete everything on my ssd and clone windows?

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
So I had an old pc that unfortunately just died, already posted a forum regarding it but nothing worked. So I decided since my new pc has only 256 gb NVME ssd storage, if I could use my old pc samsung 1 TB ssd as the boot drive? My current HP Pavilion only has 1 nvme slot. My old ssd has windows 10 with some games and my new one has windows 11, so if I buy a cheap PCIE x1 to nvme slot, can I delete everything on the ssd, then clone the ssd and remove the current 256 gb ssd and use the 1 tb instead? And could I even use the adapter to store my empty 256 gb ssd? Will there be a problem?

Not sure I understand your intentions.

What's the over-riding reason you would want the OS to be on the larger 1 TB drive?

If the OS is on the smaller NVME, you can certainly use the larger SSD as storage......without an adapter.

When the smoke clears, do you want to be on Window 10 or Windows 11?

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Not sure I understand your intentions.

What's the over-riding reason you would want the OS to be on the larger 1 TB drive?

If the OS is on the smaller NVME, you can certainly use the larger SSD as storage......without an adapter.

When the smoke clears, do you want to be on Window 10 or Windows 11?
I am sorry on how I explained this, it's kind of confusing but basically I have an old 1 TB samsung ssd in my old system which is better than the 256 GB in my current one. I want to buy the adapter so that I can delete everything on the 1 TB drive because it still has the old computers OS (windows 10) and a few games on it, and once that drive is completely empty I can use macrium reflect or something to copy the OS (windows 11) from the 256 GB ssd to the empty 1 TB samsung one, and then use it as my boot drive. This is what I meant, I do not want windows 10 and 11 on the same pc or anything like that.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
I am sorry on how I explained this, it's kind of confusing but basically I have an old 1 TB samsung ssd in my old system which is better than the 256 GB in my current one. I want to buy the adapter (because my motherboard only has one nvme ssd slots, already used by the 256 GB one) so that I can delete everything on the 1 TB drive because it still has the old computers OS (windows 10) and a few games on it, and once that drive is completely empty I can use macrium reflect or something to copy the OS (windows 11) from the 256 GB ssd to the empty 1 TB samsung one, and then use it as my boot drive. This is what I meant, I do not want windows 10 and 11 on the same pc or anything like that.

...................I have an old 1 TB samsung ssd in my old system which is better than the 256 GB in my current one............................ I want to buy the adapter so that I can delete everything on the 1 TB drive....................................

How is the 1 TB Samsung better than the 256 NVMe?

Why do you want the OS on the 1 TB drive?

I don't see why you would need an adapter to delete everything on the 1 TB.

So, I remain confused.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
How is the 1 TB Samsung better than the 256 NVMe?

Why do you want the OS on the 1 TB drive?

I don't see why you would need an adapter to delete everything on the 1 TB.

So, I remain confused.
Don't question my intentions, my 1 tb samsung ssd is better because it has more storage? It's still nvme if you think it's sata. I need an adapter because my motherboard only has one nvme ssd slot.

USAFRet

Titan
We're just a bit confused out here.

What drive is in the laptop you use now?
What OS is on it?

What are your actual plans for the old drive?
What is that specific drive?

Many things are possible, but we need a description of what you have and what you want, before a plan forward can be recommended.

My current HP Pavilion only has 1 nvme slot.
if I buy a cheap PCIE x1 to nvme slot, can I delete everything on the ssd, then clone the ssd and remove the current 256 gb ssd and use the 1 tb instead?
Please list model names of your M.2 drives.
Also list model name of your HP Pavilion. Is that a laptop?

What exactly PCIE x1 adapter did you have in mind?
NVME drives for full performance require PCIE x4 connection.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Please list model names of your M.2 drives.
Also list model name of your HP Pavilion. Is that a laptop?

What exactly PCIE x1 adapter did you have in mind?
NVME drives for full performance require PCIE x4 connection.
My hp computer is a desktop, model is HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01 series. The ssd I want to use in the adapter due to the lack of another nvme ssd slot is Samsung 980 SSD 1TB (Gen 3, not the 980 pro). The adapter I want to buy for it is: MZHOU NVME M.2 SSD M Key to PCI-e 3.0 x1 Host Controller Expansion Card,Supports M2 NGFF PCI-e 3.0, 2.0 or 1.0, NVME or AHCI, M-Key, 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230 Solid State Drives with Low Profile Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082D6RF6S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YY4NYCVPRSKXKXHWDQ9Z

That is model name of the original M.2 drive?

If you use x1 pcie to nvme adapter just for data transfer, then it's fine.
But if you intend to continue using this adapter and install nvme drive in it, then performance of the drive is 4x reduced.
Get PCIE x4 M.2 adapter instead.
Edit. That is assuming PCIE x16 slot is not occupied. Is it?

HYPER_M.2_X4_MINI_CARD-1__86563.1470723782.1280.1280.jpg

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
That is model name of the original M.2 drive?

If you use x1 pcie to nvme adapter just for data transfer, then it's fine.
But if you intend to continue using this adapter and install nvme drive in it, then performance of the drive is 4x reduced.
Get PCIE x4 M.2 adapter instead.
Edit. That is assuming PCIE x16 slot is not occupied. Is it?

HYPER_M.2_X4_MINI_CARD-1__86563.1470723782.1280.1280.jpg
The pcie x16 slot is used by the graphics card (1650 Super). I also only have a pcie x1 slot and not a pcie x4 slot.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Then you get wasted performance of nvme drive connected to x1 PCIE M.2 adapter.
It will operate at bandwidth a bit faster than a regular sata SSD ~800MB/s (not at rated 3500MB/s).
not a problem, still slightly faster than a sata ssd and not as slow as my hard drive so 1 tb of raw storage at that speed does not sound too bad.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Then you get wasted performance of nvme drive connected to x1 PCIE M.2 adapter.
It will operate at bandwidth a bit faster than a regular sata SSD ~800MB/s (not at rated 3500MB/s).
Alright so I ordered the pcie x1 (only option I had, pc has no x4.) I don't know if it's the adapter but it's getting really low performance, still faster than a hard drive, at around 417 mbps read and 403 mbps write according to Crystal disk mark. Now performance loss was expected but not this much, it's not even faster than a sata ssd! Is there a way (unless it's the adapter) to make this alteast as fast as a sata ssd? Original read speeds were over 3000 mbps and so were the write speeds. I also checked the adapter and it says that it should be atleast 800 mbps.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
So I had an old pc that unfortunately just died, already posted a forum regarding it but nothing worked. So I decided since my new pc has only 256 gb NVME ssd storage, if I could use my old pc samsung 1 TB ssd as the boot drive? My current HP Pavilion only has 1 nvme slot. My old ssd has windows 10 with some games and my new one has windows 11, so if I buy a cheap PCIE x1 to nvme slot, can I delete everything on the ssd, then clone the ssd and remove the current 256 gb ssd and use the 1 tb instead? And could I even use the adapter to store my empty 256 gb ssd? Will there be a problem?
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to format the 1TB drive, to put everything from the 256GB drive on it, and replacing the 256GB drive with the 1TB drive?

Maybe instead use that 256GB drive as bootdrive and get that M.2 to PCI-e card to use that 1TB as mass storage? This is pretty much way simpler. Then you just have the 256GB to boot, and you put all your games, files, pictures, etc. on the 1TB.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
If I'm reading this correctly, you want to format the 1TB drive, to put everything from the 256GB drive on it, and replacing the 256GB drive with the 1TB drive?

Maybe instead use that 256GB drive as bootdrive and get that M.2 to PCI-e card to use that 1TB as mass storage? This is pretty much way simpler. Then you just have the 256GB to boot, and you put all your games, files, pictures, etc. on the 1TB.
That's what I decided to do.