[SOLVED] Can I Use an HDD with Windows 10 Installed as a Portable OS?

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Hi, everyone.
I'm not sure if the title is as clear I intend for it to be, but I have an internal 2.5" HDD with Windows 10 installed on it that I use as a sort of test OS which I install programmes, updates, etc. on that I want to test out before I install them on my main SSD.
My question is, if I disconnect that SATA drive and plug it into a USB port via a SATA to USB adapter, will it still function as a portable OS or will it not be recognized because it's now connected via USB?
I see a lot of posts suggesting ways of cloning an OS to a portable drive, but can't find anywhere that says whether an internal drive with Windows 10 already installed on it should work portably.
I apologize if it should be obvious. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but want to be sure.
Thanks. I really appreciate this forum and those who keep it running. God bless you all. It's an awesome resource. :)

Solution
Just to make sure I understand you right, you mean that it'll boot externally on the computer I installed it on, but won't work on another computer, right?
Not even then.
Unless you installed it externally, with the processes from WinToGO.

Windows is NOT as modular as we'd all like, to be moved to different connections and especially systems.
Hi, everyone.
I'm not sure if the title is as clear I intend for it to be, but I have an internal 2.5" HDD with Windows 10 installed on it that I use as a sort of test OS which I install programmes, updates, etc. on that I want to test out before I install them on my main SSD.
My question is, if I disconnect that SATA drive and plug it into a USB port via a SATA to USB adapter, will it still function as a portable OS or will it not be recognized because it's now connected via USB?
I see a lot of posts suggesting ways of cloning an OS to a portable drive, but can't find anywhere that says whether an internal drive with Windows 10 already installed on it should work portably.
I apologize if it should be obvious. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but want to be sure.
Thanks. I really appreciate this forum and those who keep it running. God bless you all. It's an awesome resource. :)
My experience with this is windows will not boot from usb.

There was or maybe still is a thing called windows to go.
You can research that.

USAFRet

Titan
Just to make sure I understand you right, you mean that it'll boot externally on the computer I installed it on, but won't work on another computer, right?
Not even then.

Windows is NOT as modular as we'd all like, to be moved to different connections and especially systems.

Solution

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Not even then.

Yes, I realize that. I've been trying to get it to boot properly and have been running into brick walls it seems. Thanks a lot anyway.