[SOLVED] Can I use an i7 7700k with MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2020
The CPU isnt shown under compatible CPUS on the MSI website, but im wondering if thats because it wont work at all or because it just wont work optimally for the motherboard. Basically my current mother board the Z270 pro gaming carbon is giving me problems and i want to replace it but cant afford to replace my motherboard CPU and RAM all in the same month. So i would buy the new motherboard and ram and use it with my current CPU until i can afford a new CPU.

Feb 18, 2020
problem with that is spending money on replacing my current motherboard with the exact same one. Just seems like a waste of time. Disappointing but obviously nothing i can do about it. Thanks for your response.

WildCard999

Titan
problem with that is spending money on replacing my current motherboard with the exact same one. Just seems like a waste of time. Disappointing but obviously nothing i can do about it. Thanks for your response.
Consider putting the 7700K up for sale as you may be able to get a good price for it and if you don't have enough for a newer Intel then consider AMD Ryzen as you could probably get the Ryzen 3600 & compatible B450 board for less then a 8th/9th gen Intel i7. Depending on your current memory speed you may be able to reuse it (3000mhz or faster).

Reactions: logainofhades
Feb 18, 2020
What issues are you experiencing with your current motherboard?
Funnily enough i just saw a post describing the exact issue im having - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/please-help-is-my-mobo-done.3574741
Have done all the troubleshooting possible, reinstalled everything like physical hardware, redid the cabling and reinstalled windows.
I manage to get my pc to boot by hard powering off for around 10 minutes then starting up and allowing the pc to "load" for about 5 minutes and then it boots as normal.
Feels like a motherboard issue since the USB ports don't work so i was going to try by first replacing the mobo and then over the next month or two slowly upgrade the whole PC and kill two bird with one stone.

Feb 18, 2020
What are your full system specs, including make/model, of the power supply?
Power Supply: Antec EDGE 750W Fully Modular 80+ GOLD Silent PSU
Processor: Intel Core i7 7700K Overclocked Upto 4.8GHz Each Core
Heatsink & CPU Fan: Corsair H100i V2 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON DDR4 USB 3.1 Motherboard
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz High Performance Gaming RAM
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X OC 8GB GDDR5X Card
Sound Card: Integrated 8 Channel HD Audio
Primary Hard Drive: [NVMe] 250GB M.2 SSD Upto 3200MB/s Read 1500MB/s Write

Sep 18, 2020
So an interesting fact my Z270 dit nothing power wise it just died I have checked everything, the power supply, CPU, RAM and even hard drives and it was working accept the motherboard. it has been a year and tested it again only now i never reinstalled my wifi card and now it is booting and working perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.