[SOLVED] Can I use an old hard drive with windows as a secondary drive in a new pc

Dec 27, 2020
I have a new pc with 256 gb ssd and windows 10. I have an old 1 TB hdd from my old pc which has window 7 installed on it as well as it has various applications installed on it. How should I connect my old hdd to my new pc while retaining all the data in old hdd? I don't want old applications, I just want data from my old hdd.

Solution
I have a new pc with 256 gb ssd and windows 10. I have an old 1 TB hdd from my old pc which has window 7 installed on it as well as it has various applications installed on it. How should I connect my old hdd to my new pc while retaining all the data in old hdd? I don't want old applications, I just want data from my old hdd.
If it's a desktop PC just connect it internally. W7 on it will most probably not even boot or run on new PC so just make sure that BIOS i set to boot from your new disk.
All data will be there but it's highly unlikely any programs installed on it would work.
Best thing would be to transfer/copy any data files to another place and delete all partitions on it than transfer data back to it.
If you don't...
If it's a desktop PC just connect it internally. W7 on it will most probably not even boot or run on new PC so just make sure that BIOS i set to boot from your new disk.
All data will be there but it's highly unlikely any programs installed on it would work.
Best thing would be to transfer/copy any data files to another place and delete all partitions on it than transfer data back to it.
If you don't have enough spare space for that data, you could partition that disk, copy all desirable files to it and than delete other partitions, then you can make new partition and if you want merge them.
Use https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html for those operations with partitioning.

Reactions: pratadge00
Solution
Thank you @CountMike . I don't have any other storage space to backup all that data. The hdd has no unallocated space on it, so can I make partitions in that hdd without loosing any data?
Yes, if there's enough empty space, If you want to backup data but not use all space, you Can use Macrium Reflect that makes one file the size between 60 and 75% of all data that's backed up. Maybe that can fit somewhere.

Reactions: pratadge00