Question Can I use this HTPC case for my build? What are the pitfalls

armoosead

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
I want to use this case to build my new gaming PC. The main reason I want to mount it underneath my standing desk so its somewhat invisible. Also makes cable management nicer. My main use for the build is heavy video editing with light VFX work. Can this case be used? Thank you
Rest of specs:
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($578.74 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Newegg Sellers)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($121.98 @ Other World Computing)

You'll want a much better cooler as the Be Quiet aren't all that good for this application. If you need quiet operation get a Noctua D15 otherwise the Thermalright Frost Commander and Phantom Spirit have great performance at a much cheaper price. You'll need to get some extra fans (at bare minimum 2x 80mm for the back) as well for heat management.

edit: you might want to consider a 6400 memory kit if you can afford the extra ~$50

edit2: I just checked the specs and it can't actually fit any air cooler good enough to cool the 14900K as it's limited to 138mm cooler height (it can't fit the one you selected either). If you wanted to use this case you'd have to get a thick 240mm AIO or power limit the CPU which would defeat the purpose of getting that high end of a CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoosead

armoosead

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
You'll want a much better cooler as the Be Quiet aren't all that good for this application. If you need quiet operation get a Noctua D15 otherwise the Thermalright Frost Commander and Phantom Spirit have great performance at a much cheaper price. You'll need to get some extra fans (at bare minimum 2x 80mm for the back) as well for heat management.

edit: you might want to consider a 6400 memory kit if you can afford the extra ~$50

edit2: I just checked the specs and it can't actually fit any air cooler good enough to cool the 14900K as it's limited to 138mm cooler height (it can't fit the one you selected either). If you wanted to use this case you'd have to get a thick 240mm AIO or power limit the CPU which would defeat the purpose of getting that high end of a CPU.
In your opinion how much clearance do I need for the cooler? I dont mind sacrificing an extra inch etc. I just have to find the case

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You need 163mm, so I'd be looking at cases that list 165mm or more if you want to use that cooler.

AIOs are generally better for small builds. It's the explosion of AIOs over the last 15 years or so which has greatly aided the existence of very powerful small builds.

Reactions: thestryker

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think that case would work pretty well. 3 120mm case fan slots, plus two 80mm mounts above the I/O. Plus a vented top, though that sounds like it would get covered up.

The right part selection might make all the difference.

I can see this working with a 90 degree rotated CPU cooler and a GPU with a blow through design. That would create an airflow path from one side of the case to the other. So 'left' side from the front to the right side.

Nvidia 3060Ti for example, which is nearly identical to the 4060 in average performance.

With all the great info you have already received just a heads up I have the 2008 model of this case that is a full gaming system with older parts.

We have a RX 470 stuffed in there and boy is it kissing the inside of the rear front panel. Cool case.

armoosead

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
With all the great info you have already received just a heads up I have the 2008 model of this case that is a full gaming system with older parts.

We have a RX 470 stuffed in there and boy is it kissing the inside of the rear front panel. Cool case.
Did you have any cooling issues?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I utilize a GD09B for my HTPC case inside the entertainment center enclosure. I am not sure on the specific size differences between the two but will give you some of my own insights to the case.

The '09' is also an ATX sized case. From what I can tell it appears the major differences are the additional venting the 09 has as compared to the 08 and front panel material. The 09 is plastic rather than metal. It has room for a regular ATX power supply, (3) 120mm fans on the sides, and (2) 80mm fans in the rear. The way the case is designed has there being a drive cage for the external optical (CD) drive as well as a cage for a 3.5" drive. With that part in place there is no room for any cooler aside from possibly stock or otherwise "pancake" style coolers. There is an option to remove that drive cage which you can then use the 3.5" cage to mount it on its side towards the front of the case. This left room for one of the Noctua 92mm tower fans to be installed.

There is placement for 2.5" drive in front of the power supply placement. I have found that if you utilize a M-ATX motherboard that it leaves a small amount of space for unused cabling to go. With a full ATX board there will essentially be no room for cables aside from on top of the 2.5" drive. It is important to note here that you must hook up the drive power and SATA cable before mounting the power supply due to space constrictions.

If you remove the CD drive cage and also the brace that runs from front to back to make the case more rigid, there is room to mount a graphics card. A 3070 fit inside mine with no issue at all. The 1080 that I used there previously required 180* power connection adapters.

I am currently using the case with (2) 120 mm fans and (2) 80 mm fans. Due to wire length and the fan header placement on the mobo I used I optioned a fan hub mounted on top of the 3.5" drive for all the fan wires to reach back to. In my own case I am using a modular power supply to eliminate wire clutter outside of what is absolutely required. The cabling will be bundled over the 2.5" drive as mentioned above and also will block air flow from that fan location. It is also important to note the length of the graphics card. The 24 pin and CPU power wires are most likely going to be routed "in front" of the GPU along the front side of the case. If you have a really long graphics card it can make running those a bit more difficult for space. There are several spots alongside the front panel and well as along the bottom tray for places to utilize zip ties for wire management.

My own system is built out with an 11600K on the cheapest M-ATX motherboard I could find, the aforementioned NHU9S cooler, a reference 3070, and Corsair RM750X. I have the OS on M.2, a 2.5" drive for game storage, and a big HDD for movies and backup type data.
The biggest detractor that I can think of is the placement in relation to my own system. Since it is inside an entertainment center and enclosed on all sides but the front it lends to getting quite warm while gaming. For media consumption and web browsing it doesn't present an issue. When gaming the system gets quite warm and as a result, quite loud as well. I have found that placing a small fan out in front of the system blowing into one side of the shelf it is on mitigates this issue. You mention your own system being mounted under a desk so you likely will not have the issue where it remains trapped in with its own heat.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit for some insight into using a case like this. Good luck with your build.

No not really with the case side mounted fans where there in push/pull.

This was my case I passed down to my son and he wanted to game with it.
Take with a grain of salt he has a i7 3770 and the RX 470 so judge your heat index vs what we have under the hood. Our case looks the same but only one slot for a DVD.