[SOLVED] Can i5-8400 reach 4.0GHz? Mine doesn't

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Specs: http://specr.me/show/8ee
My 8400 mostly reaches 3.89GHz. I've never seen it go over 3.90GHz I have it for like a year now.
Is something wrong?

The image below is of task manager, but also use CPU-Z it's the same.

Also, is it possible to go beyond? like overclock? Ik it's not unlocked, so is there anything that can be done to increase perf?

Solution
I have an I5-8400 with a Z370 board and I have never seen the 4.0.

Actually 4.0 can only be obtained in unreal laboratory situations. In the real world you will never be able to observe it because the operating system (windows, linux ..) will always prefer to use 2 cores at 3.9 than one at 4.0 due to the existence of background processes. It's pure intel marketing.

Since I5-8400 is blocked, the MCE option does not work because it is actually a hidden OC.

The best way to improve your performance is to keep it as fresh as possible. With this he manages to spend more time at maximum frequency.

Also make sure that your DDR4 runs at the speed they can activate, if XMP is necessary.

The only minimum possibility of OC your CPU is to...
The 4GHz number is if only a single core is being loaded. There's different frequencies for different number of loaded cores.
cfl_turbo_v2.png

If you install/open HWMonitor, perhaps you'll see evidence of brief forays into the peak turbo occasionally, as designed...; as WIndows uses multiple cores quite frequently, it would likely be brief.

It's possible thatif/when on a Z370/Z390 that supports and has MCE enabled, you might be able to get 3.9-4.0 GHz on all cores if you disable 65 W TDP power budget, and/or tinker with values in Intel's XTU, etc...(If on a factory cooler, you'd probably be lucky to maintain even 3.6 GHz on all cores, from what I've read, as the factory cooler jave proven quite marginal, often leading to throttling under even brief but heavy all-core loads)

I have an I5-8400 with a Z370 board and I have never seen the 4.0.

Actually 4.0 can only be obtained in unreal laboratory situations. In the real world you will never be able to observe it because the operating system (windows, linux ..) will always prefer to use 2 cores at 3.9 than one at 4.0 due to the existence of background processes. It's pure intel marketing.

Since I5-8400 is blocked, the MCE option does not work because it is actually a hidden OC.

The best way to improve your performance is to keep it as fresh as possible. With this he manages to spend more time at maximum frequency.

Also make sure that your DDR4 runs at the speed they can activate, if XMP is necessary.

The only minimum possibility of OC your CPU is to slightly increase your BLCK from its standard value of 100 to 101 or 102 (hopefully 103). I do not recommend it because the 1% -2% you get is insignificant because of the risks.

Solution