Can Infections lead to Computer Lockups?

mr.frecklesx

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hi, I recently installed an i5 into my build. Since then I have had continuous lockups. To turn off the pc I have to manually hold the power button and turn it back on. I cannot control+atl+delete or do anything when it is locked up. I made sure I updated the bios to where it supports the i5. And when I boot up and check my system information, it recognizes the i5. I even tried rendering a video and it was way faster than my previous i3 so I know its working. I've tried a bunch of methods to try and figure out what was making it lockup including calling the mb company and asking for support at geek squad. I eventually gave up since I had tried everything in my power and took it to geek squad and explained my situation. I payed for diagnostics. They called me today saying that they had checked all the components and they were all fine. They also said they found infections on my pc. They told me for 150$ (bad price) they could wipe all infections and fix any software related issues and I told them no because I didn't have the money. I was also worried that they were just saying that to get an extra buck off of me because they told me that it was embedded and I couldn't get it off with regular software. What are the chances that I get a virus as soon as I install my i5? It didn't make sense. Plus this never happened before with my i3. So if anyone knows that viruses can lockup your pc please let me know. I don't want to have to spend another 150$ for something that won't help.

Solution
1. Don't trust the counter monkeys at GeekSquad

2. You PC may or may not have viruses. If so, that may or may not be the cause of a "lockup".

3. Just changing the CPU won't cause a virus infection. That is software.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Don't trust the counter monkeys at GeekSquad

2. You PC may or may not have viruses. If so, that may or may not be the cause of a "lockup".

3. Just changing the CPU won't cause a virus infection. That is software.

Solution

chill907gaming

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Unless you have a bad rootkit that deletes windows files, I do not believe that any hardware changes can occur due to a virus.
A virus is software, meaning it has to be downloaded or transferred. Probably the only hardware that could carry a virus from one PC build to another is the HDD...