Can malware be fixed by repair install or so?

aserar

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Hi everyone

I have Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit and I had it for a while and I got a malware that got pass my antivirus somehow. I installed couple of anti-malwares and they fixed a bunch of threats, but my Windows is still acting weird specially my internet browsers.
I want to fix this issue but I hope to not lose my data (My software installation cause I have several programs that require downloading large amounts of files and will take forever to be restored). Is there a way in Windows 8.1 (like a repair install or on over write install) that can lose the malware without losing my date?

Thanks in advance

ps/ I have a backup but it's quite old and won't save any time, and also system restore had no recent restoration points

Well, you have an Enterprise version of Windows which is not licensed to individuals. I would turn in my computer to the IT person and the should be able to fix this for you pretty easily. Most IT people are pretty good about not turning people in needlessly in cause you were using your work machine for 'extracurricular' activities.

Short of that... if you are smart enough to pirate 8.1 Enterprise, then you ought to be able to figure yourself out of the hole you have put yourself in. Good luck!

aserar

Reputable
May 7, 2015
WOW.. What an unhelpful condescending judgmental answer.. I'm sure it totally represents you as a person which makes me glad I never had the pleasure of knowing you in person.
I really don't give a rats ass what you think but just so you know .I'm not from the States, and whatever the rules there, here I bought this computer and upgraded to Enterprise and got a valid license.
You seem like someone who have a lot of free time on his hand. Check with Microsoft.

USAFRet

Titan
Generally speaking, a Win 8.1 Enterprise license is only obtained via a Volume Licensing agreement with MS.
Unless you get it from your university or similar.

Anyway...malware is generally killed off by an antimalware application, like Malwarebytes. Try that.

My apologies if you have somehow picked up a legit copy of Enterprise as an individual, but you really need to understand just how rare that is even outside of the US. Next time if you have the option then pick up Pro instead of Ent. It is often cheaper, easier to support, and will be met with less skepticism.

At any rate, you can try a refresh, but you will need to reinstall all of your apps/programs which may take some time. I have had good luck with that cleaning things up when you cannot simply uninstall malware, or get rid of it via MBAM (Malwarebytes). The problem with browser infections is that they often sync to your account, so once you log back into Chrome of FF then it pulls the malware back down to your system which is a pain to work around and I don't have a nice easy answer there.