Can MEMTEST86+ check memory running at faster bus speed?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:24:16 +0300, "assaarpa" <redterminator@fap.net>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>> BSOD tell the tale when they come up. If there are memory registers in
>> the 'cause' line you will know its memory related.
>
>What makes you think you have any right to expect a bluescreen at all? I got
>a complete lockup as reward for my troubles half of the time, and half of
>the time, *blink*, a happy, quick reset.

I was thinking along the same lines. If a memory error occurs in
program code, then I would expect to see a BSOD, or a lockup. OTOH, if
bad RAM results in the corruption of a data region (eg spreadsheet or
text document), then you may get no warning at all.

- Franc Zabkar