Can Microsoft Patent a Wind-Powered Data Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Only the scope of the claims should be considered. Give the patent number or link to google patents. Any goofy thing can be in the specification but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the claim scope is narrower than this article implies.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Whats funny is that way worse patents have been filled. Ill go google/bing "funny/odd patent filling" and see what I get. I really think that there is no way that every other major company ( even MS themselves ) have way more silly patents than this one if you ask me.

( I say silly cause I dont wanna be rude >.< )

G

[citation][nom]J3d1M1nD7r1cKs[/nom]You've got to be kidding me.[/citation]

+1

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I'm thinking something, you know that legal systems of all countries have some kind of penalty for false crime reporting, maybe something like that is needed for patents, if you file this kind of ridiculous patent you should be rejected and forced to pay 1-2% of income from previous fiscal year.
This should be refused with "previous art" argument I think. Not sure but I think that Google has some data centers powered by wind turbines already built.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
US patents don't mean squat in the rest of the world, so it's only other US companies that will be hurt by this (unless they patent this in other countries as well).

I know it's stupid, but since
-square with round corners
-flat
-(relatively) thin

can be patented (and I don't recall Gruener having a problem with that), I do not see why not this one, as well. At least, this shows a shade of thought behind it.
Broken system...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The bulls and cows are pretty angry at this filing. Apparently they claim you can't patent bullshit or cowshit as the bulls and cows own them already.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
The way the patent system is going soon some large company will patent talking in the car using a hands-free device. That way they will be able to tax us all every time we do it.
(Apple, I'm looking in your direction.)

It would seem that the RIAA has gone the wrong direction. They should patent "listening to music from speakers" then they could get that money they say they are loosing every time someone listens to a song.

appropriate

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Articles about patents by non-patent attorneys make me cringe. With that being said, yes, the application probably is garbage; yes, they will likely be granted some sort of patent; and yes, the patent system is broken.

You need to look at the claims to truly understand what they are asking for coverage on, and then you still need to look up the application at the USPTO site to see how the claims currently look. They almost always change during examination of the application. Usually they go from initially being completely unreasonable to just somewhat unreasonable by the time the patent is granted.

I didn't quickly find the Microsoft application. But check out the competing "technology" from Google... http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=V2vGAAAAEBAJ&dq=patent:7525207

This issued patent (#7,525,207) covers anything that has the following three things (from claim 1):

A system, comprising: (1) a computer data center proximate to a body of water comprising a plurality of computing units; (2) a sea-based electrical generator in electrical connection with the plurality of computing units; and (3) one or more sea-water cooling units for providing cooling to the plurality of computing units.

Status
Not open for further replies.