Question Can my 750w psu handle rtx 3080

Mar 28, 2023
I was about to ordered a 3080, but then i saw some threads about "power spikes", i did some researches and most people
indicated 850w PSUs, i have no money left to do that upgrade. Should i do one step back and ordered a 6800xt or even rtx 3070?

My psu; Sharkoon Silentstorm Icewind - 750W

I only found 2 reviews about it, one in german and another video in italian.

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/76...ijzige-stilte-hoe-test-hardwareinfo-voedingen

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnhREVPbIJg

Hey there,

The short answer is, no. It's a crap PSU, and is simply not suitable for any gaming system, let alone your RTX3080. Looked at the wrong PSU. That one seems okay enough however, with a 3 year warranty, I wouldn't be sticking it in with the 3080 anyway. IMO it's not good enough.

You should be looking at a decent 750w min, like a Corsair RMx. Id even go further and get an 850w to be sure, you have enough for transient power spikes.

What are your PC specs in full?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023
Hey there,

The short answer is, no. It's a crap PSU, and is simply not suitable for any gaming system, let alone your RTX3080.

You should be looking at a decent 750w min, like a Corsair RMx. Id even go further and get an 850w to be sure, you have enough for transient power spikes.

What are your PC specs in full?
Ryzen 5600, 2 SSDs and 2 Fans
Maybe the better option is 3070 or 6700xt?

A 750W PSU that's 80+Bronze-Rated should be more than enough for an RTX 3080.

I'd beg to differ. Here, see for yourself: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

Maybe you're not aware of the transient power spikes from most recent GPU's. This happens on both AMD and NVidia cards (to a lesser extent for AMD) but it really became an issue in the last year or two with both RTX3xxx/4xxx cards. The power spikes occur at a fraction of a second, and the PSU (in this case a bronze unit) would likely trip one of the over protections at load.

Regardless, if it were me, I would get a good PSU, and with plenty overhead in terms of wattage, and made with quality components that have the right tolerances for these types of fast switching loads.

What normally are really good Gold PSUs, have had trouble with this.

Reactions: Why_Me
Mar 28, 2023
I'd beg to differ. Here, see for yourself: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

Maybe you're not aware of the transient power spikes from most recent GPU's. This happens on both AMD and NVidia cards (to a lesser extent for AMD) but it really became an issue in the last year or two with both RTX3xxx/4xxx cards. The power spikes occur at a fraction of a second, and the PSU (in this case a bronze unit) would likely trip one of the over protections at load.

Regardless, if it were me, I would get a good PSU, and with plenty overhead in terms of wattage, and made with quality components that have the right tolerances for these types of fast switching loads.

I researched about that italian test, and the guy is well known in the italy tomshardware for test PSUs, in certanly moment he pushed 1000w without problem for a minute, in the german test its handled well 750w in the 12v rail, but with fan noise.
Anyway, im not comfortable to fit the 3080 in that PSU, a saw some videos that the 6800xt pushs 60-80w less power than the 3080, I will borrow my brothers 6800xt, and do a test.

Start with a good power supply. That said I see above you said something about having a ryzen 2600. So the play might be to pick up a 5600 or 5600x if your board has a bios update to support it and then a 6700xt or 3070. Though I recently saw an rx 6800 non xt on Newegg.com the other day for about $450. Unsure of your location but upgrading cpu and getting at least a midrange card should give you a nice upgrade and possibly more stable fps as the 2600 might hold back a 3080.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DSzymborski

Titan
The cost of the sports car includes the cost of the insurance and maintenance. If you don't have the funds for the latter, you don't have the money for the former, and need to make adjustments. A power supply with enough wattage and quality to power the components is the most important part of the PC and the last place you cut. You downgrade the storage first. Or the RAM. Or the CPU. Or the GPU. But you you don't cut corners on the heart of the PC.

This is a middling power supply, which actually makes it better than a junk tier power supply, which is most of Sharkoon's power supply line. But you're trying to power an RTX 3080 not an RX 570 or a 1650 Super, and those high-powered 30-series cards have brought some solid second-tier power supplies to their knees with the transients.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Well, all I can tell you is that for the first half of 2022, I ran an improvised mining rig using my old FX-8350, a hard drive, an RX 5700 XT and an RX 6800 XT. They were all powered by my backup PSU, an OCZ Z1000M 80+Gold-certified that I bought thirteen years ago in 2010.

Both of those cards mined for about 6 months straight and there were no issues whatsoever. While I'm certain that power transients are a thing, I think that they're a bit overblown. I've never encountered a problem caused by them and it sure wasn't because I was using weak cards.

Reactions: Loadedaxe