Can my CPU withstand those temps under those circumstances?

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi. Recently, due my old CPU i had to tweak a few thing in the BIOS for it to perform better on a new game i just got. Got slight yet noticeable FPS boost however, my CPU is reaching 89C Max as opposed to the usual 79-81C

The model is Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

I play the game on a daily bases around 5-10 hours with a few 15 to half hour break in between. Will my CPU be fine at those Temps? According to CoreTemp the MAX of my model is 100C something called TJunction.

This is temporary. A few months. Am planning a major hardware upgrade but don't want my CPU to go bye bye BEFORE the big changes for obvious reasons.

Also, another game i have received some HD textures pack, ran fine. however, CPU temp reached 94C which is higher than the other game i play on daily basis.

Can my CPU handle this kind of pressure for a few months to come? Or should i reset the BIOS settings i made for it?

Thanks.

Solution
Itll last a few months easily at 89c. 94c is getting toasty but as long as it isn't just sitting at 94c all day it should also last a few months without issue. Wouldn't be a bad idea to just default bios settings.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
That is your issue, if your going to overclock you need something better than a stock cooler for both better performance and longevity.... You seem to recognise that you are taking a risk by leaving the temps higher, why not get the cooler for your new system now and put it on this CPU and switch it into the new system when you build it.

Or as you stated, i would suggest reverting to stock in your BIOS to mitigate risk.... Its really your call though, as long as it doesnt cap 100 degrees you "may" be able to get away with it for a short period....

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

All i did was put system in performance mode and CPU in turbo is that considered overclocking too? Also, short period you say, how long is that more or less? I'll do some testing here on the game. If the CPU won't last for a few months then i'll revert back the BIOS settings and settle for lower graphics.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Itll last a few months easily at 89c. 94c is getting toasty but as long as it isn't just sitting at 94c all day it should also last a few months without issue. Wouldn't be a bad idea to just default bios settings.

Solution

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

94C was just an example of a game i ran just to see how much the HD texture pack had changed i won't be playing that game until i upgrade but i did noticed the extreme temp it made the CPU reach so i noted.

The one i'm playing constantly the CPU sits at 84C when weather is cold like in morning and 89C when weather is hot.
Those are temps monitored by HWMonitor. I'm doing my best to let it "chill" at times. When i go eat, take a shower or leave the computer for more than 10min i exit the game completely instead of leaving it open so the CPU can catch a breather.

Resetting the BIOS settings would take about 8 FPS of the game. Which even with the CPU boosted i still only get 30-45 FPS. My rig would otherwise run 60 FPS easily but I'm dealing with an issue here where all my games suffered a considerable FPS drop one day for no apparent no reason. Likely something that'll only be solved with formatting. So my plan is to wait it out a bit and when i do format i also change literally every major hardware i have so i not only get rid of this unknown issue but get my rig tuned up for newer games. Just gotta wait a few months.

I tried OCing my GPU but didn't got any performance boost probably cuz didn't OC'd correctly? (And got a kernel driver crash error which made me give up on it honestly i'm too scared to mess with that). I much rather spend money on a higher end card really. Which i will in a few months to come.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

all youre drivers are up to date? If it worked well one day and didnt work good the next and you didn't change anything between then, that would be my first guess.

Just out of curiosity, what is the temp and cpu usage when you are idle?

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

The only thing that changed when this issue surfaced was that i updated a game. Nonsense, right? Shouldn't make a difference. I tried completely uninstalling said game, issue continued. So the only thing i could blame is my CPU which is my oldest hardware. If it wasn't for this issue, i wouldn't be considering an upgrade for now cuz my PC had satisfactory performance in every game modern or old. I used to get solid 55 FPS in GTA V on Ultra. Now i get 33 FPS on Dishonored 2. Quite the change, huh?

Anyway, yes drivers are up. Well, not really. I never update driver as soon as a newer version appears. Experienced some technical issue that originated from specific driver so at times i stay with older ones. But i just updated nvidia on 11 this month. Honestly, before this issue appeared i was running things with a year old nvidia driver and everything was peachy so i doubt the drivers are causing this. (i did try returning to that year old driver and no, it didn't help. which reinforces my belief that my CPU's showing signs of age)

About my CPU, my idle temp is 32-41 depending on weather and usage is at 4-11% which seems pretty normal to me.
Tho it goes up to 60-85% when demanding games are running.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Yea fans are working. The sole reason its stock it's cuz of space. I can only find mid-tower case in my country and there's legit no space for a cpu cooler that's not stock. I could order a full or even super tower case internationally but the taxes makes the price ridiculous. Prices double. Triple even sometimes. I got money but not that kind of money.

I will keep things as it is. Maybe playing a bit less to take some burden off the cpu while i wait the upgrade.