Can Nintendo's $299 Switch Stand Against The PS4 And XB1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
That price is way to high for a premium niche product. I don't understand why they didn't create a Wii Successor! Not Wii U a Wii... that had the horsepower of a PS4/Xbox One... combined with motion controls and Optional VR headset!. Seriously that would have been worth the price of entry! special if it was around the 299 mark. It give people VR like they want! It also allow them to have motion controls inside a more limited space. Instead we end up with a over price thing! I call it a thing cause I really don't think it knows what it is! At 299 the only people its going to sell too are people looking for exclusives such as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
It's already bad enough you are using outdated hardware from 2014! Now you want to charge $300 for it to? Hahahahahahah, NO. I rather just buy a Nvidia Shield TV. And if you try to make any pokemon (trainer, mystery dungeon, ranger) games exclusive to the Switch and not available on 3DS. That is where you will get the middle finger to your entire company from me and i'm sure A LOT of other people as well.

D

Deleted member 1353997

Yes, the Switch can stand against the Xbox One and PS4, because it's mobile. With that price? Not so sure, but the 3DS had a similar price, which didn't take very long to drop sharply.
The real question is: can it stand against smartphones? I mean, it definitely offers a better gaming experience than any smartphone, but how many people will carry around both a Switch and a smartphone? I know I will, but most people aren't like me.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Not sure there are many people willing to spend US$300 for a portable gaming device with 2 hours of battery life.
Nintendo should probably just turn themselves into a Gameboy and game dev company.
Release their games on all the other platforms and make a bucket load of cash.
Their consoles have been garbage since the N64.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
The USB port is blue. Blue Usb ports use to be 3.0
Comparing the autonomy of a 5 year old device 3DS XL it is not fair.
Despite being a fan of Nintendo since Nintendo 64 to Nintendo Wii, with Nintendo 3DS, I don't see success gaining market over previous years with this device. I hope being wrong, since I love their software too. A shame now I don't own any Nintendo device currently. I gave my Wii as a present for a place with children with problems, since I didn't use it. Now I would love to play Zelda Ocarina of Time + Expansion, Windwalker, Twighlight, ...

coondawg

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
"I don't understand why they didn't create a Wii Successor! Not Wii U a Wii... that had the horsepower of a PS4/Xbox One... combined with motion controls and Optional VR headset!"

Pretty sure there's a rule at Nintendo strictly forbidding anyone from mentioning VR ever again. I would not expect Nintendo to go this route any time soon, if ever.

Ya... I was hoping to get this console, but nope. Price aside, this is just not a good console.

1) Too many parts. I mean seriously, you have the console, a dock, 2 'joy-cons', 2 joy-con bumpers, cartridges (seriously?), and a power adapter (shared between the dock and the console, so it is going to get moved). Too many moving parts to get lost or damaged... it just screams poor design.

2) No games. I mean, this is nothing new. I still play soooo many old NES, SNES, and GC games on my PC. And no, it is not some odd sense of nostalgia because I didn't have these consoles growing up (It was all about PS and PS2!). I discovered them as an adult, and they are genuinely fun to play, so I play them. With so many great games I decided to try the Wii... and Zelda was OK, but not fantastic, and I got lots of mileage out of Mario Cart racing... and that was about it. But at least at $20-40 a pop we tried several titles out and I feel like we got our money out of the system.
Now we look at this new console, and... there is a fantastic looking Zelda game... and that's about it. Seriously? This is the company that made Punch Out, Paper Mario, MarioRPG, Metroid, and so many other fantastic games, and we get one now, and a horrible looking Mario game in the fall?

3) Price/Performance/what everyone else is saying. While a secondary concern, the price is just wrong on this thing. Xbox One and PS4 are both more powerful consoles that can do more, have a larger game library, and look better on screen, and they are both under $300. $100 for a 2nd controller? Seriously? $80 for the pair of joy-cons, plus $20 for a hunk of plastic to put between them is outrageous! $60 games? for THOSE games? Sure, I'll drop an easy $60+ for Zelda... but the rest of those games look terrible. As a PC gamer who typically pays $10-30 for games this seems insane.

That said, I now have kids, and a nintendo console may be a great way for them to be introduced to gaming... but the more I look at this thing, the more I wish it was a Wii2. Parents want a traditional console that we can monitor on the TV, with games that are 'safe' to play, and with simple controls that we don't have to constantly step in with to help... and if the parent's can have some fun with it too then great! But no, this has lots of parts, several more 'mature' titles coming to it, complicated controllers... this thing is a mess not aimed at me, or my kids. Nintendo done messed up big this time. I just hope there is some other way for me to play 'breath of the wild' before it all becomes vaporware.

Gilles_2

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
in europe preorder are at 329 euro on amazon, couple of joycon to play with a friend cost 80 euro,...
Nintendo is totally killing its console before the launch, they could just have called it Wii U 2 since the destiny is the same

Gilles_2

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

the console is too big, no one outside of Japan will ever really use it as a portable
Nintendo keeps playing deaf with the rest of the world, and they re gonna fail again

Gilles_2

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

well it is easy, they are only allowed to make bad decisions until they don't build consoles anymore

liquidmental

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Just think how funny it would be if Sony announced an updated VITA (HD). with the extra power in the PS4 pro, you can stream your games in full 1080p (I do it all the time on my Sony Z5 premium).. With an updated controller profile, or even a similar screen/ controller setup.. Listening Sony?

With a $299 MSRP, however, we have to question how well the system will fair against the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Although these other consoles are older, both can often be purchased for around $250, and they have a much larger library of games. This could be an early sign that the Switch will struggle, much like its predecessor, the Wii U.

The price seems fine, especially when you consider that it can play the role of both a console and a portable gaming device. It's not exactly convenient to take an Xbox One or PS4 on a car ride, or even just play it in another room for that matter. The Wii U largely failed to take hold for a number of reasons, and price was only a small part of it. The Switch seems to be addressing a lot of those issues, resulting in something that appears to be a much more capable device.

Really, how did you ever cope with the Wii, which you likely had multiple Wii remotes and nunchucks for, along with their removable jackets, and AA batteries that you had to manually recharge or replace? The Joy-Cons have their batteries built-in, and charge automatically when docked to the screen unit, which itself charges in the base. There's no real need to unplug the cable from the base either, since the main unit can charge from a standard USB Type-C cable while in use. The bumpers and such are just there to make holding the individual Joy-Cons more comfortable, much like the Mario Kart wheel accessory. And in what way could cartridges possibly be considered a problem compared to bulkier and much more easily-damaged optical media? I'm sure they'll give you the option to download games through their shop as well.

New console launches are almost always like this. They're obviously not going to tease all games planned for the console at an event months before the console is even released. And Nintendo showed off a decent number of upcoming games for this event. I doubt you actually watched the trailers for them though, since if you did, you would have seen that they actually have a game that looks a lot like a more-interesting version of Punch Out, and makes use of the Joy-Con motion control capability to throw punches. Undoubtedly there will be a new Metroid for the system eventually, and most likely games from all the popular Nintendo series. Plus, don't forget that unlike in previous generations, they'll likely be developing all their games for a single device. Rather than releasing some of their first-party games on a console, and others on a handheld, they'll now all be coming to the same system. Also, since the device's specs are closer to the other current-generation hardware, it's likely that they'll see better third-party support than was on the Wii U.

How long do you expect them to keep releasing these games for the 3DS? In case you didn't notice, the 3DS came out 6 years ago, and Nintendo typically comes out with a new generation of portable gaming hardware within that time frame, at least following the original Game Boy / Color series. As a refresher, the Game Boy Advance came out in early 2001, DS was out worldwide by early 2005, 3DS in early 2011, and the Switch will be coming in early 2017. The 3DS has been out about as long as DS had been when the 3DS was released. It seems likely that there will continue to be 3DS games coming out for some time still, as the device has a good install base, is more portable than the Switch, and is priced lower, but you can't expect Nintendo not to release installments of their popular game series designed to take advantage of their new generation of hardware.

There seems to be a lot of negative sentiment in the comments section here, but most of it is seems unfounded, and unlike with the Wii-U prior to its launch, I see a much more interesting system here.

bloodroses

Distinguished
I agree with everything you said Cryoburner. This system actually looks rather interesting and isn't priced that bad considering its hybrid nature. With comparison to the PS4 and XBone, that's what I have a PC for since 90% of the games on those systems are released for PC as well.

The biggest thing with the Switch will be the titles coming out in the future and how fun they will be. I have a Wii and a 360 at home, and only the Wii is still used just because the games are fun to play when my wife's friends come over.

notlim981

Distinguished
Basically the last decent console released by Nintendo was the Gamecube. As far as hardware goes, Nintendo's seriousness stopped in 2002 with GC. After that they are just being stubborn, it surprises me how they haven't had the same fate as Sega's yet.

dstarr3

Distinguished
The first thought is that no, this console is not trying to compete with the PS4 or X-Bone. They are targeting a very different demographic of gamer. As a PC gamer, I'm much more interested in the Switch than the PS4/Bone, because Nintendo has always had the best exclusives. But that being said, $300 is still just a bit steep. $250, I could've understood. But... the value proposition is just a bit lacking right now. I may just wait until next Christmas instead of getting it on launch.

Gilles_2

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

considering that americans think iphone price is ok, we could say that this price for a crappy home console, that can be converted to a crappy handled console (look at the size of the thing and the fact the battery will not last very long) is fine

in the rest of the world where people are actually comparing price with what they get to find the best value, they will understand that this is overpriced piece of hardware that does every thing but nothing well should never have been released

now nintendo hasn't been able to release something really new and really good for more than 10 years, and 300$ for a console with eventually 1 great game (people are still waiting for the great game of the Wii U) is way too much, and the ability to play in your toilet is not a console seller

on the point of PC/PS4/XONE, yes most of the games are released on the 3 of them, and they usually cost a bit less on PC,
BUT to play well on a PC you need to put in at least twice the price of a console, this means you already need to buy many games to get an advantage on the PC, but ok yes you can have a so much better experience on PC with great framerate and image quality (for up to 10 times the price of the consoles), but then these people with certainly not by a Switch with low end hardware, so this is clearly a console for consoles players not PC, and with that in mind, there is no really value to buy this over a ps4/xone except if you want the new zelda that nintendo gamers are waiting for more than 10 years (and were promised to get on the previous consoles but still waiting)

Gilles_2

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

please tell us about these "best exclusives" you talk about, because we have no idea what you are talking about, or are you refering to 15 years ago and more?

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
I think the time has come for Nintendo to throw in the towel on the console wars and just focus on being a developer and start leasing out their IPs to third parties. Their market share has taken a beating since the Wii and they clearly can't compete with Sony and Microsoft anymore in the console space.

Sega at least got smart and knew to quit while they were ahead. Time for Nintendo to follow suit.

Aug 15, 2013
Will the switch be a success?

Does it have monster hunter? Yes? It'll do fine in Japan (biggest handheld market) and it'll be a good second console for gamer types who love them some mario, zelda, etc.

Gilles_2

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

it seems everyone but Nintendo understand how to make a good enough console, Nintendo is just keeping playing deaf to the world, so they are not forec to throw in the towel, they could just start to listen, but it seems they prefer failing than doing what they are asked to, I guess it is japanese mentality

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
GILLES_2, what I meant was that Nintendo just needs to give up on making consoles, not go away entirely. It's become clear that their hardware will always be a step behind Sony or Microsoft now.

Nintendo, for years since the Wii, has gone on to say that graphics alone don't necessarily make for a great gameplay experience, and they're right. But, instead of continuing to sink money into inferior consoles, they could opt to do what Sega did, lease their legendary IPs to the other console makers and focus on delivering a stellar product made on cutting edge hardware. They'll make a lot more money that way, they'll stop hemorrhaging money on consoles and be able to deliver a better overall product.

The Wii U should have been the ultimate lesson in that by now. I realize the Switch brings a whole new element to the party now with hybrid console / mobile gaming, but with that price, those specs and poor battery life, it will fail quickly if Nintendo doesn't bring the price down. At current prices for the PS4 and XBox One S, the Switch isn't even nearly competitively priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.