Can not access Licensing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I need to release some of our terminal licences (machines no longer in our
organization). But in Terminal Services Licensing my server's status is
shown as unknown and when I select properties I get: error message
0xc0110011, an internal error occured. And in the logs it shows: Can't
generate a license for client because of error 'Can't add certificate to
store, error c0010020. The only other Terminal related events are that it
started and there are no more licenses.
I searched the MS Knowledge Base and came up with NIL. And thus have no idea
what to do next.
Can someone suggest a place to start?

--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

EventID: 38
Source: TermServLicensing
"Can't add certificate to store, error c0010020".

This means that the license certificate has been corrupted. Try
deleting the license from the client (HKLM\Software\Microsoft
\MSLicensing). If this doesn't work, you may have to deactivate
and reactivate the license server.

Internal error 0xc011011
store."

This error message can happen if the terminal server licensing
database has become corrupt.
Usually it requires an uninstall and reinstall of terminal server
licensing.

About your initial pupose: to delete an old license, issued to a
now discarded client: this is not possible.

If your TS CALs were installed *after* SP3 (which included a
Licensing Enhancement) was applied to the Terminal Server and
the License Server, then they have an expiration date of 52-89
days. Licenses that are not used (because the client does not
connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the
LS after the expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients
will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
available again. So if your TS CALs have an expiration date, and
you are reaching the end of the 90 day temporary license period
without having TS CALs available, it means that you have too few
licenses and you simply have to buy extra TS CALs.

If you installed your TS CALs *before* SP3, then they will not
have an expiration date and be permanently issued to the clients.
These licenses will be lost by a fresh re-installation of the
client OS, or if the client is discarded altogether. You will have
to phone the Clearinghouse to get these TS CALs re-issued.

291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
Clearinghouse
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291795

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> EventID: 38
> Source: TermServLicensing
> "Can't add certificate to store, error c0010020".
>
> This means that the license certificate has been corrupted. Try
> deleting the license from the client (HKLM\Software\Microsoft
> \MSLicensing). If this doesn't work, you may have to deactivate
> and reactivate the license server.
>
> Internal error 0xc011011
> store."
>
> This error message can happen if the terminal server licensing
> database has become corrupt.
> Usually it requires an uninstall and reinstall of terminal server
> licensing.
>
> About your initial pupose: to delete an old license, issued to a
> now discarded client: this is not possible.
>
> If your TS CALs were installed *after* SP3 (which included a
> Licensing Enhancement) was applied to the Terminal Server and
> the License Server, then they have an expiration date of 52-89
> days. Licenses that are not used (because the client does not
> connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the
> LS after the expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients
> will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.
>
> Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
> temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
> available again. So if your TS CALs have an expiration date, and
> you are reaching the end of the 90 day temporary license period
> without having TS CALs available, it means that you have too few
> licenses and you simply have to buy extra TS CALs.
>
> If you installed your TS CALs *before* SP3, then they will not
> have an expiration date and be permanently issued to the clients.
> These licenses will be lost by a fresh re-installation of the
> client OS, or if the client is discarded altogether. You will have
> to phone the Clearinghouse to get these TS CALs re-issued.
>
> 291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
> Clearinghouse
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291795

Those /\ are the instructions I was following, as these CALs were issued
proir to SP3. I wanted to get the phone number. But When I right click and
select properties I get: error message 0xc0110011, an internal error
occured.
So will a reinstall clear those CALs as well as correct the DB? And I assume
I will have to go through the activation proceedure with MS as well.
Thanks for your Time...yor

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Also, Should I de-activate the Terminal Server Licensing first?

"Yor Suiris" <yor@hallgroupNOT.net> wrote in message

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> > EventID: 38
> > Source: TermServLicensing
> > "Can't add certificate to store, error c0010020".
> >
> > This means that the license certificate has been corrupted. Try
> > deleting the license from the client (HKLM\Software\Microsoft
> > \MSLicensing). If this doesn't work, you may have to deactivate
> > and reactivate the license server.
> >
> > Internal error 0xc011011
> > store."
> >
> > This error message can happen if the terminal server licensing
> > database has become corrupt.
> > Usually it requires an uninstall and reinstall of terminal server
> > licensing.
> >
> > About your initial pupose: to delete an old license, issued to a
> > now discarded client: this is not possible.
> >
> > If your TS CALs were installed *after* SP3 (which included a
> > Licensing Enhancement) was applied to the Terminal Server and
> > the License Server, then they have an expiration date of 52-89
> > days. Licenses that are not used (because the client does not
> > connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the
> > LS after the expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients
> > will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.
> >
> > Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
> > temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
> > available again. So if your TS CALs have an expiration date, and
> > you are reaching the end of the 90 day temporary license period
> > without having TS CALs available, it means that you have too few
> > licenses and you simply have to buy extra TS CALs.
> >
> > If you installed your TS CALs *before* SP3, then they will not
> > have an expiration date and be permanently issued to the clients.
> > These licenses will be lost by a fresh re-installation of the
> > client OS, or if the client is discarded altogether. You will have
> > to phone the Clearinghouse to get these TS CALs re-issued.
> >
> > 291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
> > Clearinghouse
> >
> Those /\ are the instructions I was following, as these CALs were issued
> proir to SP3. I wanted to get the phone number. But When I right click and
> select properties I get: error message 0xc0110011, an internal error
> occured.
> So will a reinstall clear those CALs as well as correct the DB? And I
assume
> I will have to go through the activation proceedure with MS as well.
> Thanks for your Time...yor

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

If you still can deactivate it, yes. But I expect that that will
generate an error as well. In that case, I would uninstall
completely, reinstall, and than call the Clearinghouse to get all
of your licenses reissued.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

> Also, Should I de-activate the Terminal Server Licensing first?
>
> "Yor Suiris" <yor@hallgroupNOT.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>> > EventID: 38
>> > Source: TermServLicensing
>> > error: "Can't add certificate to store, error c0010020".
>> >
>> > This means that the license certificate has been corrupted.
>> > Try deleting the license from the client
>> > (HKLM\Software\Microsoft \MSLicensing). If this doesn't
>> > work, you may have to deactivate and reactivate the license
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Internal error 0xc011011
>> > certificate to store."
>> >
>> > This error message can happen if the terminal server
>> > licensing database has become corrupt.
>> > Usually it requires an uninstall and reinstall of terminal
>> > server licensing.
>> >
>> > About your initial pupose: to delete an old license, issued
>> > to a now discarded client: this is not possible.
>> >
>> > If your TS CALs were installed *after* SP3 (which included a
>> > Licensing Enhancement) was applied to the Terminal Server and
>> > the License Server, then they have an expiration date of
>> > 52-89 days. Licenses that are not used (because the client
>> > does not connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be
>> > returned to the LS after the expiration date. In the
>> > meantime, your new clients will get a temporary TS CAL, which
>> > is valid for 90 days.
>> >
>> > Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that
>> > your temporary license lasts long enough for the old license
>> > to become available again. So if your TS CALs have an
>> > expiration date, and you are reaching the end of the 90 day
>> > temporary license period without having TS CALs available, it
>> > means that you have too few licenses and you simply have to
>> > buy extra TS CALs.
>> >
>> > If you installed your TS CALs *before* SP3, then they will
>> > not have an expiration date and be permanently issued to the
>> > clients. These licenses will be lost by a fresh
>> > re-installation of the client OS, or if the client is
>> > discarded altogether. You will have to phone the
>> > Clearinghouse to get these TS CALs re-issued.
>> >
>> > 291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
>> > Clearinghouse
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291795
>> >
>> Those /\ are the instructions I was following, as these CALs
>> were issued proir to SP3. I wanted to get the phone number. But
>> When I right click and select properties I get: error message
>> 0xc0110011, an internal error occured.
>> So will a reinstall clear those CALs as well as correct the DB?
>> And I
> assume
>> I will have to go through the activation proceedure with MS as
>> well. Thanks for your Time...yor

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thanks for the help Vera
After all, we're all in this together....yor