[SOLVED] Can not boot into Win- "Keyboard Error"

Feb 18, 2020
Hello, the story goes like this: I was using 1 stick of 8 GB DDR4 RAM for 3 years, and a month ago I decided to upgrade to 16 gigs, and bought 2x8GB kit, and because I have only 2 slots, decided to sell the one I pulled out of my PC. Well, today, I removed my new kit and installed the old stick to run a stress test and what not because a guy called wanting to buy it. I went to the post office and once I got home and reinstalled the new 2x8 kit, the first slot on the MOBO kind of stopped working... Both sticks work in the 2nd slot, and neither work in the first... I am getting 6 short beeps, which on my Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 is a "Keyboard Error". After those 6 short beeps, the PC restarts, does nothing, and restarts again and again... I tried all the USB slots and even tried my old PS/2 keyboard, same story, "Keyboard Error", which is funny because I am typing this down on the same keyboard I was getting errors with an hour ago... I tried pulling out CMOS battery and putting it back in- no luck. What is there to be done before I call the first slot dead and cry over my new and unused stick of memory? Thanks in advance <3

Solution
Listen very carefully to the beeps - just to be sure that it is "keyboard". Consider that it may be a longer pattern but getting cut short. Or 2 or 3 beeps patterns.

"Aug 26, 2019 - 1 short beep :Memory Error. 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error. 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction. 5 short beep :CPU error. 6 short beep:Keyboard error. 7 short beep :CPU interruption error. 8 short beep:Graphic card error."

Double check both the physical RAM installation and the relevant BIOS configuration settings. And do likewise for other installed components.

Do you have the User Guide for your motherboard...

Ralston18

Titan
Listen very carefully to the beeps - just to be sure that it is "keyboard". Consider that it may be a longer pattern but getting cut short. Or 2 or 3 beeps patterns.

"Aug 26, 2019 - 1 short beep :Memory Error. 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error. 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction. 5 short beep :CPU error. 6 short beep:Keyboard error. 7 short beep :CPU interruption error. 8 short beep:Graphic card error."

Double check both the physical RAM installation and the relevant BIOS configuration settings. And do likewise for other installed components.

Do you have the User Guide for your motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-h110m-s2h(gsm)(ddr3)_e.pdf

Check physically numbered pages 9 & 10 as well as the BIOS settings on pages 21 & 22.

(Do verify that I found the correct motherboard manual.)

Hopefully the problem is just installation or configuration as the computer did originally work.

Reactions: dusan7
Solution
Feb 18, 2020
Here is the Beep code. I tried to change a few things in BIOS to maybe get the both stick of Ram to work, and rebooted PC. I inserted the other stick in the first slot and nothing changed, can't get it to boot, except now I can't get it to post on neither sticks of Ram in neither of the slots :giggle:... When I power the PC on, with Ram in #2 slot (where it worked just yesterday), it does not post, just runs for ~15 seconds and restarts.
(Do verify that I found the correct motherboard manual.)
That's not the manual for my Motherboard, but I do have it and it says nothing useful whatsoever.
Thanks for the reply.

Feb 18, 2020
@Ralston18

After a few days of being busy and not tinkering around my PC, I got to it. I removed my GPU, and restarted BIOS by removing CMOS battery. Then I tried with the #2 RAM slot and on integrated graphics with my old VGA monitor, and it actually posted and booted into Windows with no hassle at all. Then I tried with both sticks of RAM and old monitor, which also worked. Finally, I inserted my RX 470 and it also worked fine with both sticks of RAM. Had to reinstall Windows and sadly format the HDD, but other than that, it's somehow back to normal. Sorry for the troubles and thanks for support.

TRENDING THREADS