[SOLVED] Can not write or format USB flash drive

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello

There is something wrong with my SanDisk Cruzer Blade pen drive of 16GB size. I can access the files stored on the drive, but I can neither delete nor write new files on the drive. There is still about 8GB free on the drive. I tried multiple computers but nothing helped. I can not format the drive. An input/output error or device error is displayed. I can even see all the files if I connect the drive to a TV. I tried using Rufus, but that didn't work.

Is there any solution of this problem?

Thank you all.

Solution
Will second @MathGeek.

Copy as much data as you can from the USB drive. Use copy - not move and be aware that with a suspect USB drive anything you do could cause loss of data.

Once the data is copied/backed up and proven both recoverable and readable you will be able to further "experiment" with the USB drive.

You may be able to recover, extend, or otherwise fix something using DiskManagement (Create and format hard disk partitions), diskpart, or Powershell commands.

Such experiments may or may not be successful with respect to retaining data and/or gaining the other 8 GB. And that USB should be considered suspect forever more.

However, with the data saved else where, there is no harm in trying beyond being absolutely...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
from my experience this means the drive is dead. it's happened to me with thumb drives and sd cards like that more than once. i've never been able to get anything working again once it happens.

copy anything off it you need and time to buy a new one. good news is they are dirt cheap right now. i bought a 128 gb samsung not too long ago for $20 and i see 16 gb ones in 4 packs at walmart for $10 pretty often.

Ralston18

Titan
Will second @MathGeek.

Copy as much data as you can from the USB drive. Use copy - not move and be aware that with a suspect USB drive anything you do could cause loss of data.

Once the data is copied/backed up and proven both recoverable and readable you will be able to further "experiment" with the USB drive.

You may be able to recover, extend, or otherwise fix something using DiskManagement (Create and format hard disk partitions), diskpart, or Powershell commands.

Such experiments may or may not be successful with respect to retaining data and/or gaining the other 8 GB. And that USB should be considered suspect forever more.

However, with the data saved else where, there is no harm in trying beyond being absolutely sure that you are "experimenting" on the correct drive. USB or otherwise.

Provided you are inclined to doing such things. If no, then don't. Retire the USB and if you really want to ensure it is never used again - properly dispose of it.

In any case, your entire system is backed up - correct? You should be doing that anyway. Who knows what and when something else will go astray.

Not a matter of "if". Simply "when".

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sd card formatter is an option i usually see offered to try. never worked for me on one of these but maybe you can get lucky if you ever have an sd card that does this to you.

diskpart, and disk management are the usual things to try and see what happens. good luck. do let us know if you find something that works as i'd love to know something else i can try when this pops up.

Reactions: xenthia