Can only boot after a hard reset

DurzoB4

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Hi all,

My PC seems to have developed a fault where it will only boot if the power has been turned off and back on again.

If I shutdown my pc when i turn it back on it doesn't load. The fans start and you can hear the hdds kick in but nothing starts and the only way to fix it is to remove the power cable wait a minute then put the power cable back in and it starts without any issues.

At first I thought it was a faulty hdd as the one hosting my OS was very old so i removed it and did a fresh install of windows 10 but the problem still persists. After more investigation it appears its not getting as far as the bios. When i start it up i just get a black screen with an unresponsive terminal cursor where it just hangs.

Ive stripped everything out of it except MB, one ram stick and ssd with OS on which made no difference. Ive tried clearing my cmos, changing bios settings back to default and am still having no look. Am tempted to try updating the bios but am a little worries about flashing my motherboard.

The motherboard in question is an asus Z97-p. Any help would be greatly appreciated.