[SOLVED] Can optiplex 7060 motherboard run gtx 1660 super or ti

tsmyello

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
Can optiplex 7060 motherboard run gtx 1660 super or ti and I have 260 watt power supply can it run these graphic cards
And if not what is the least motherboard and power supply I have to get to use these cards
And what card I can run In that motherboard and power supply
Thank you....

Solution
Here's the cheapest 1650 on PCPP at $140 that also doesn't require external power and just so happens to come pre overclocked with a decent boost clock that's a bit higher than other options that are a bit more expensive.
And it's width should be small enough to fit inside the PC.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4q...verclocked-edition-video-card-vcg16504sfppb-o

But to be honest, I would highly suggest that if you're looking to do this as cheap as possible, that you frankenstein the parts out of this PC into a normal sized case, and get a normal power supply that can run something like a 1660 Ti (preferably about 400 to 450w)

Iam not good at these things so I didn't understand...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the motherboard will support the maximum usage of PCIe which is 100w but that is edge case and most average pull on the PCIe from a PCIe only graphics card is 75w which is within spec.

If the graphics card you plan to use requires external power from the PSU, then you have to take into consideration a few things.
#1: does the PSU have enough wattage to support both the system as well as the graphics card when under full load?

#2: Does it have enough efficiency to support said wattage under load?

#3: Is it built with enough quality components that it won't just burn out or catch fire?

#4: Does the PSU have the necessary cables to plug into your graphics card in order to supply it power?

But as it stands, no, that pre built system's PSU is too low of wattage, and too low of quality to support a new graphics card (or any semi modern gaming GPU really), not to mention it most likely doesn't have the necessary cables for it.

While the wattage is low, you should be able to get away with a PCIe powered GPU which means the GPU cannot require external power from cables. Something low spec like the GTX 1650 is all you can put into that system assuming it will even fit inside (assuming you have the slim small form factor version, which I assume you most likely do)
But even then, you will probably max out the PSU's capabilities doing that.

If you do try to get a GPU, make sure that not only it does it only need to get power from the motherboard PCIe, but that it is a low profile card, so that it's not too wide and will fit in the space between the motherboard and the side panel (again, assuming you have the SFF version of the system)

Suffice it to say, you aren't going to be putting a GPU in that system that is meant for gaming, and is more designed to be better graphics output than the integrated graphics on the CPU for multiple displays, higher resolution displays, higher resolution playback of videos and streaming, HTPC usage, etc.

Of course with those low spec GPU's you can technically "game" on them, but you aren't playing newer AAA titles, and will have to play low spec games and old games.

tsmyello

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
Iam not good at these things so I didn't understand everything you said but I think that means I can't run this card and I can run 1650 but can you tell me what is the SFF version
And last thin do you mean 1650 super or normal 1650

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Here's the cheapest 1650 on PCPP at $140 that also doesn't require external power and just so happens to come pre overclocked with a decent boost clock that's a bit higher than other options that are a bit more expensive.
And it's width should be small enough to fit inside the PC.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4q...verclocked-edition-video-card-vcg16504sfppb-o

But to be honest, I would highly suggest that if you're looking to do this as cheap as possible, that you frankenstein the parts out of this PC into a normal sized case, and get a normal power supply that can run something like a 1660 Ti (preferably about 400 to 450w)

Iam not good at these things so I didn't understand everything you said but I think that means I can't run this card and I can run 1650 but can you tell me what is the SFF version
And last thin do you mean 1650 super or normal 1650
SFF is what I spelled out earlier in the post.
It stands for Small Form Factor.

SFF is PC's that are smaller than normal one's, and usually they are smaller by way of also being thinner than a normal PC case.

And this creates a problem for adding in things like graphics cards, even ones that only require power from the PCIe and nothing else, as a lot of times, after market cards are wider than what the PC case can support.
Meaning that when you put the card in, the side panel won't close because the card bumps out too far.

I honestly would not waste the time, money, and energy on trying to slap a GPU into an old pre built SFF system from Dell just to try and make it play video games.

But you do what you want to if it's all you can attempt to afford.

Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
depending on your budget, and how much you can save up and how quickly you can save up, you can wait a little bit for later this year for the 4000 series of Ryzen to release.

And then you can either build a budget system using an APU from the new 4000 series, or from the current 3000 series (because the current gen will get a little bit cheaper when next gen releases)

Just to show you what you can slap together using an APU from Ryzen for cheap right now, I put together this build.

This build is pretty budget, but can be upgraded with a dedicated graphics card later on and then play games at better frame rates, graphics, and resolution.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($66.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($62.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CV 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: uphere 3-pack Long Life Computer Case Fan 120mm Cooling Case Fan for Computer Cases Cooling ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: TeamProfitcom PWM Fan Splitter Adapter Cable Sleeved Braided Y Splitter Computer PC 4 Pin Fan Extension Power Cable 1 to 3 Converter 10 inches (2 Pack) ($9.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $545.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-23 21:45 EDT-0400