[SOLVED] Can overclocking a GPU cause black screen or driver issues? flashing

Jan 16, 2019
I bought my PC USED from a friend and he overclocked the GPU. I started having my screen randomly go black and have to restart to fix it. I thought it was the GPU. So I got a new GPU. Then the black screen issue got worse, to the point it just goes black within a couple mins after rebooting. The CPU and Ram are no problem, i checked.

My real question is: Does overclocking a GPU, then replacing it with the same settings possible to cause black screen. If so, do you think resetting/flashing my BIOS might fix it?

specs:
Windows 10,
DOMINATOR 32g RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1050 TI GPU,
CPU Intel i7 6700k,
z170 pro carbon MSI motherboard,
PSU Corsair H850i

Thanks for any help or advice you many provide.

Solution
Clean install the GPU driver. Did you do that? If you took another GPU and tried with the drivers from the old GPU, it will create even more issues and problems. Never do that. You should have tried to clean the driver from the original GPU the PC game with using DDU and then installing the latest nVidia driver from their website. Or just another driver, does not have to be the newest one.
Jan 16, 2019

Windows 10, DOMINATOR 32g RAM, EVGA Geforce 1050 TI GPU, CPU Intel i7
6700k, z170 pro carbon MSI motherboard, PSU Corsair H850i

sorry specs were in my profile

thank you for any answers or advice.

Kevin Enrique

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
Clean install the GPU driver. Did you do that? If you took another GPU and tried with the drivers from the old GPU, it will create even more issues and problems. Never do that. You should have tried to clean the driver from the original GPU the PC game with using DDU and then installing the latest nVidia driver from their website. Or just another driver, does not have to be the newest one.

Solution
Jan 16, 2019
yes i did try using a DDU to remove the drivers, I fixed the issue, it was the psu, I just plugged my gpu power cabe into another one of the psu ports and it works fine

Jan 4, 2019
Yeah if you overclocked a GPU too much it could make your screen flicker, black screens and crashing your games, if you still have your overclock settings applied try resetting it to default