Question Can Pci e 6Pin To Pci e 8Pin Connecter will Work With Msi Gaming X Geforce 1060 6g?

Apr 19, 2019
I have bought Hp Z230 Workstation with intel Xeon e3 1270 v3. It has 400-W (wide-ranging, active power factor correction, 92% Efficient) Psu. There is 6 pin psi express power connecter. I’m going to buy Msi Gaming x GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU.
Msi Gaming x GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU require 8 pin Pci Express Power Connecter.
I want know. will it work with work with 6 pin to 8 pin Pci Express Connecter?
My System Spec is
Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1270v3 @ 3.5GHz
2 X 8GB Hynix/Hyundai 1600Mhz
1 X SAMSUNG SSD SM 841 2.5” 7mm 256GB
1 X WDC WD500AAKX 500GB

Which POWER SUPPLY model is that ? Any decent quality PSU comes with 6+2-PIN PCI-e connectors, but I don't know about your HP workstation, because it's 400 watts...You can use it as an 8-PIN for the GAMING X GPU. How many 6+2 pins does your power unit actually has ? If the card requires 8-pin, then just a 6-pin PCI-e cable won't be sufficient to power up the card.

Last edited:
Do they make them? Yes.

Should you use one? No.

If a power supply does not come with a specific connection, it is because the unit is inadequate to support that connection, and it is a bad idea to start adapting and modifying things to suit your needs. If your graphics card requires an 8 pin connection then you need to purchase a power supply that HAS an 8 pin or 6+2 pin PCI/PEG connector and is not only capable of supporting it, but uses a wire gauge that is safe for that level of current draw.

Which POWER SUPPLY model is that ? Any decent quality PSU comes with 6+2-PIN PCI-e connectors...You can use it as an 8-PIN for the GAMING X GPU. How many 6+2 pins does your power unit actually has ?

Obviously, he doesn't have one that does or he wouldn't be asking. MOST 400w units DO NOT come with a 6+2 connection, because they are not able to support those kinds of high power draw units anyhow. He NEEDS a better, higher capacity, higher quality power supply, and it may be difficult to find one given that many of those systems use proprietary power supplies. Knowing the exact model of the power supply as listed on it's label would allow us to determine the form factor of the power supply in order to recommend a replacement that would be suitable.

Apr 19, 2019
i just wnat to know will it work fine with 6 pin to 8 pin pci e coverter becuse 6 pin pci e have 75w + pci e slot have 75watts = 150watts & Msi Gaming x GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU require 120 Watts Power.

i just wnat to know will it work fine with 6 pin to 8 pin pci e coverter becuse 6 pin pci e have 75w + pci e slot have 75watts = 150watts & Msi Gaming x GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU require 120 Watts Power.

No, it won't work "right". Will it "work"? Maybe. Is it safe or wise or the right way to do it? No, it isn't.

You are very likely to overdraw the cabling in that cheap OEM power supply or simply overdraw the unit itself. It is not advisable to EVER use six to eight pin adapters on a unit that didn't COME with 8 pin PCI connections to start with. Get a better power supply.

I mean, you can keep asking the same question over and over again, until somebody tells you what you want to hear. But that isn't going to change the fact that it is not advisable and is likely to create damage somewhere. Either to the PSU or something else. Or both.

Reactions: j4jawadg