[SOLVED] Can RTX 3080 run on My Motherboard Rog Strix B450-f Gaming

Solution
Yes, BUT B450 doesn't seem to "officially" support PCIE Gen 4 and all upcoming AMD GPUs use that. Not sure how much bandwidth these new gpus use, I'd expect 3080 to be able to take advantage of pcie gen 4 so if you use it on your current mobo with pcie gen 3, you may not get the full performance.
Yes, BUT B450 doesn't seem to "officially" support PCIE Gen 4 and all upcoming AMD GPUs use that. Not sure how much bandwidth these new gpus use, I'd expect 3080 to be able to take advantage of pcie gen 4 so if you use it on your current mobo with pcie gen 3, you may not get the full performance.

Solution

We will have to see benchmarks to know for sure if there is a performance difference but the trustworthy reviewers don’t seem to expect any. From what I read PCIe3.0 was nowhere near saturated by last gen cards. It would also be a significant issue for Intel who don’t currently have any consumer PCIe 4.0 boards.

Reactions: Tioym
We will have to see benchmarks to know for sure if there is a performance difference but the trustworthy reviewers don’t seem to expect any. From what I read PCIe3.0 was nowhere near saturated by last gen cards. It would also be a significant issue for Intel who don’t currently have any consumer PCIe 4.0 boards.
You should check out new videos comparing 2080Ti on PCIE Gen 3 8.0 vs 16.0, there were roughly 5% performance uplifts in the newer games with newer drivers. We cant really predict anything but I do expect some performance gains from PCIE Gen 4 especially on the 3080 and 3090.

You should check out new videos comparing 2080Ti on PCIE Gen 3 8.0 vs 16.0, there were roughly 5% performance uplifts in the newer games with newer drivers. We cant really predict anything but I do expect some performance gains from PCIE Gen 4 especially on the 3080 and 3090.
Will be interesting to see the benchmarks. If only a 5% difference with twice the bandwidth available it does support the significant headroom I have read about. It will be a big kick to Intel users if it does turn out to limit performance.

Check out HWUnboxed's test comparison (below). Steve sorta leaves a door open on the question of whether an uber-powerful GPU might get greater benefit from PCIe 4, at least in some scenarios and configurations.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAwIh1nSOQ8&t=637s

Check out HWUnboxed's test comparison (below). Steve sorta leaves a door open on the question of whether an uber-powerful GPU might get greater benefit from PCIe 4, at least in some scenarios and configurations.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAwIh1nSOQ8&t=637s
Aaaand since the 30 series GPU seem to be a big jump over the 20 series I'm quite positive that PCIE bandwidth will matter, probably not a lot but definitely a measurable performance uplift.

Aaaand since the 30 series GPU seem to be a big jump over the 20 series I'm quite positive that PCIE bandwidth will matter, probably not a lot but definitely a measurable performance uplift.
Even if that is the case it's probably better to wait until the reliable reviewers have played with these things and tweaked them every which way but sideways to figure out how to squeeze everything out you can. And oh yeah, I'm sure they'll even try one sideways to see if a riser cable hurts things. LOL

I'd keep really close tabs on HWUnboxed and GamersNexus over the next couple weeks.

@sizzling : that was my point!

Reactions: Tioym and sizzling

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Their not going to saturate a PCI-E 3.0 much less a 4.0

The top end cards have just now saturated a 2.0 X16 slot.

The bandwidth of a 3.0X8 is just a bit less than a 2.0 X16 slot.

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...ress-scaling/images/pci-express-bandwidth.png

That would put the 2080ti just over the 2.0 mark in bandwidth.

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...ing/images/relative-performance_1920-1080.png

Last edited:
Their not going to saturate a PCI-E 3.0 much less a 4.0

The top end cards have just now saturated a 2.0 X16 slot.

The bandwidth of a 3.0X8 is just a bit less than a 2.0 X16 slot.

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...ress-scaling/images/pci-express-bandwidth.png

That would put the 2080ti just over the 2.0 mark in bandwidth.

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...ing/images/relative-performance_1920-1080.png
We really can't say much until we get some benchmarks but yes, even if PCIE Gen 4 gives a performance boost to these new cards compared to Gen 3 it will be small.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
But I Will stil get a Nice performance right? Ofc not as much as if it was pcie 4, but still good ish right?
Don't stress it you will get killer performance. I'm buying one when the MSI cards come out to match with a ultra-wide 1440p monitor to run on a 3.0 slot their no way it can saturate it's bandwidth. Under different circumstances it could give a few less FPS but it's going to be a big upgrade. From the leaks (nothing is absolute yet around 20% better performance than a 2080ti.

Read my post 3 up from this one.

Reactions: Gur0
Sep 2, 2020
Don't stress it you will get killer performance. I'm buying one when the MSI cards come out to match with a ultra-wide 1440p monitor to run on a 3.0 slot their no way it can saturate it's bandwidth. Under different circumstances it could give a few less FPS but it's going to be a big upgrade. From the leaks (nothing is absolute yet around 20% better performance than a 2080ti.

Read my post 3 up from this one.
Much love thanks man 🔥🔥

You will need a really good quality power supply. I wouldn't spend any less than $120 on it for a 750 watt model. I really recommend 850 watts though because it gives you good headroom. Build quality is VERY VERY important. Look at the tiered PSU list that's floating around somewhere here. Look at jonnyguru's reviews. I highly recommend doing at least some research on this before buying. It is the most important part in any build and you should never skimp on it.

As far as the PCI-E stuff goes... We'll have to wait for the reviews but I don't expect it to be that big of a deal if you only have gen 3 PCI-E.

Reactions: Gur0
Sep 2, 2020
You will need a really good quality power supply. I wouldn't spend any less than $120 on it for a 750 watt model. I really recommend 850 watts though because it gives you good headroom. Build quality is VERY VERY important. Look at the tiered PSU list that's floating around somewhere here. Look at jonnyguru's reviews. I highly recommend doing at least some research on this before buying. It is the most important part in any build and you should never skimp on it.

As far as the PCI-E stuff goes... We'll have to wait for the reviews but I don't expect it to be that big of a deal if you only have gen 3 PCI-E.
My Motherboard uses D

The New 3080 uses GDDR6X, i assume thats not gonns be a problem either?