Question Can someone help me determine what drives I need?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Standard 3.5in drives would be mounted into a rack/frame/enclosure and that would then be inserted into the mount.

Those types of devices are generally not standard between makes/models. The drive itself is though.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is how I received it. The description indicated that there were locks, but the drives had been removed. I was hoping it is a standard / generic type of drive.
The actual drive is standard. The part that the drive goes in and gets mounted is not.

If it was me, I would discard those things altogether.

I suppose you could pull one of those out to determine its make/model and then search for the missing part.

engineertech1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
So the
The actual drive is standard. The part that the drive goes in and gets mounted is not.

If it was me, I would discard those things altogether.

I suppose you could pull one of those out to determine its make/model and then search for the missing part.
So, there is likely a proprietary mount for a standard drive?

I may need to pull it out, as you suggested. I truly appreciate the help!

I'm not opposed to getting rid of it, but resolving hardware issues with an operating system is definitely not my specialty :)

I would vastly prefer to add a ssd drive (M.2, I think it is called)

engineertech1

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

Your case may actually have internal mounts for SSDs/HDDs, and those could just be disconnected/ignored.

From the listing:

RACK MOUNTED WORKSTATION SERVER CORE I7-3960K 24GB RAM ASUS MB P6T7WS GTX 780

INTEL CORE I7-3960X 3.38GHZ PROCESSOR WITH LGA2011 AND HEATSINK W/FAN

06G-P4-3791-KR GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 2 DVI/ 1 HDMI/ 1 DisplayPort Video Graphics

DVD-ROM DRIVE,

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PLUG IN DRIVES (NOT A HARD DRIVE, FOR PLUGGING IN EXTERNAL SPECIALTY DRIVES!) W/LOCKS, NO KEY

ASUS MOTHERBOARD, P6T7WS SUPERCOMPUTER

SECONDARY NETWORK CARD

3RD NETWORK CARD W 1000BIT (UP TO GIGABIT)

3 INTERNAL FANS, 2 EXT CASE FANS

UP TO 4 HARD DRIVE BAYS, 4 ONBOARD USB SLOTS

COOLERMASTER 1200W SILENT PRO GOLD

RECENTLY DECOMMISSIONED FROM GOVERNMENT/LARGE COMPANY, PULLED FROM WORKING USE IN CLEAN ROOM ENVIRONMENT. OUTSIDE HAS GENERAL SCRATCHES CONSISTENT WITH USE.