[SOLVED] Can someone help with an Intel HD5500 problem?

Oct 30, 2020
I have an Acer Aspire E5, which I've had about 5 years now. The other day I was watching a webinar on my plugged in VGA monitor, and my screen started flickering. After unplugging the monitor the laptop screen flickered as well, and would often result in a black screen where only the cursor was visible. The laptop became very laggy, so I rebooted hoping that would solve the issue. It did not. Thinking there was an issue with a driver or something along those lines I attempted a system restore, however that did not help anything. Eventually I realized that disabling the Intel HD5500 adapter solved the issue. The laptop has a GeForce card build in as well, and using it as the display adapter would at least make the laptop functional. It won't however allow me to use the VGA or HDMI ports, which are essential to me, and causes slower performance overall.

My issue seems to be either with the HD5500 driver, or the adapter itself is failing. If I use the Microsoft basic display adapter, the computer functions perfectly minus the HDMI and VGA ports working. If I try to update that with any of the drivers for the Intel HD5500, I now get a completely black screen. I've tried the drivers directly from Acer, and ones from the Intel site, with the same result every time.

I've tried a fresh windows reinstall, updating bios, and updating the chipset driver. None of these things have helped. Now, using the proper Intel driver directly from the Acer site for my model results in a completely black screen. The laptop is still functioning in the sense that windows is still running (I can hear sounds and blindly navigate windows) however now I only see a full black screen. No flicker, no cursor, just black.

Is there anything else I can try, or is this a sign that the laptop motherboard is beginning to fail? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Yeah, that sounds like GPU failure. GPUs are usually built with a VESA compatible hardware section, that is what you see at boot and can function after the GPU itself has died.

A common occurrence with GPUs that operate without a driver and fail or crash once the driver is installed.

Given the age, a replacement shouldn't be too bad.

Acer Aspire 3, brand new $400

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that sounds like GPU failure. GPUs are usually built with a VESA compatible hardware section, that is what you see at boot and can function after the GPU itself has died.

A common occurrence with GPUs that operate without a driver and fail or crash once the driver is installed.

Solution
Oct 30, 2020

Thank you for the prompt advice. I didn't want to take the chance and went with a replacement this weekend.