Can someone please tell me if I need to buy thermal paste for stock cpu cooler

Jetsada

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Hello,

I would like to know if I need only just a thermal paste (Arctic silver 3.5/5gram) for my cpu stock cooler.

CPU: Intel core i5-4460 (boxed version with stock cooler)
PSU: XFX TS Series 650W PSU 80+ Gold
GPU: Gigabyte GV-R929OC-4GD (Radeon R9 290 200 series)

I intend not to buy a aftermarket cooler, because not planning on to overclock my computer. Although I have a GPU with OC but that's because I want to make sure I have a reliable and very good GPU with a lot of specs.

Thank you :)

Solution

The stock cooler has the thermal paste preapplied, you should use this until you remove the stock heatsink or you notice some increase in temperatures.

However if you are like me i would apply the new thermal paste...

KKAW

Admirable

The stock cooler has the thermal paste preapplied, you should use this until you remove the stock heatsink or you notice some increase in temperatures.

However if you are like me i would apply the new thermal paste after 1 year of use.

Solution

Jetsada

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

What do u mean with "preapplied" so they already put of their own thermal paste? I'm going to buy a thermal paste anyways since I will need it for the future.

KKAW

Admirable

If you look at the bottom of the heatsink, the part where it touches the CPU you can see there is the re applied paste.

I would have done the same anyways if i could afford a thermal paste.

DrDukeNukem20

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Buy a new cpu cooler because my stock cpu fan died on my after 3 years and over heated my cpu to the point it wouldn't turn on. I used the cpu stock cooler for games like gta and my cpu went up to 90c and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO staied at 45c at maybe go to 50c top.

Jetsada

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

Alright you clear up my mind now, a thermal paste arctic silver 3.5g might be a bit expensive for such small amount of thermal paste but it's better than nothing to keep the CPU cool as possible.

It's 8,30 euro's, going to buy it :)