Question Can someone tell me why my motherboard isn't identifying my M.2 SSD?

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
It's a Wacom Cintiq companion 2.

DSC_0414.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG

My old SSD died and I've replaced with a new one, but it just doesn't want to identify it so as i result i can't create a new partition to set up my OS.

Here's what i'm working with inside (from a break down Youtube vid):
unknown.png

and here's the old SSD and the new one I replaced it with:

DSC_04162.JPG
unknown.png

Any help is appreciated.

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Is it seeing it in bios under boot menu?

Just a bog standard boot order menu, there are no CD drives in this tablet so I assume that "Hard Disk" is just in name only.
DSC_0422.JPG

What is model name of old and new SSD ?
In the picture - is it the old or new one?

That is indeed the new one in the picture.
The old one was a Toshiba 512GB THNSNJ512GDNU.

What's this driver that you're supposed to download first? Is this needed when you install a new drive?

Anyway, you could boot the computer from a usb containing either a partitioning app like Gparted or a Linux Live distro and see if those apps recognize the m.2. If yes, create a GPT partition initializer and see if the windows installer will then recognize it. If neither of those apps recognize the m.2 either you may need some sort of driver preloaded or its dead or the port is dead.

Last edited:

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Turns out that was just a bad USB, i've booted Gparted but not sure what to do next.
What's this driver that you're supposed to download first? Is this needed when you install a new drive?

Anyway, you could boot the computer from a usb containing either a partitioning app like Gparted or a Linux Live distro and see if those apps recognize the m.2. If yes, create a GPT partition initializer and see if the windows installer will then recognize it. If neither of those apps recognize the m.2 either you may need some sort of driver preloaded or its dead or the port is dead.

So I managed to get on, but i'm not seeing the SSD, is there anything I need to do on this because i'm not too familiar with linux based systems.
DSC_0431.JPG

Turns out that was just a bad USB, i've booted Gparted but not sure what to do next.

So I managed to get on, but i'm not seeing the SSD, is there anything I need to do on this because i'm not too familiar with linux based systems.
If you click on the down arrow on the right side of the screen, does it show another device, your m.2 disk? Or if you select the menu Gparted option and then select Devices, does it show the m.2 disk? If you can select the m.2 disk, you would want to select the Device menu and then create a GPT partition. That should be enough preparation for the Windows installer to work. The remaining space on the m.2 should be unallocated since Windows does all of the remaining partitioning and formatting as part of the install. Also the Windows installer prefers that you have only 1 drive connected at the install point; you can add more drives later after install is complete.

Last edited:
Every WD M.2 drive has a model number.

Could be.

But all the advertising and vendor info I ever saw on it just described it as "Blue" with no model number. It was always shown just as the pic appears above in post 5 with no further info provided. May have been indicated otherwise in WD specs somewhere, but not in standard marketing info.

I have no idea what the OP has.

The SN550 and SN570 are marked as such right on the label.

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
If you click on the down arrow on the right side of the screen, does it show another device, your m.2 disk? Or if you select the menu Gparted option and then select Devices, does it show the m.2 disk?

I was afraid you were going to say that. It didn't appear in the list.

Is is possible for a broken port to corrupt a harddrive? When I tested the old Toshiba one using my desktop, windows said it was damaged and wanted to repair it in a notification that I was too late to click on. Eventually it just ended up like this:
fata_device_errorl.JPG

I'm guessing recovering the data is pretty much a lost cause...

I was afraid you were going to say that. It didn't appear in the list.

Is is possible for a broken port to corrupt a harddrive? When I tested the old Toshiba one using my desktop, windows said it was damaged and wanted to repair it in a notification that I was too late to click on. Eventually it just ended up like this:
I'm guessing recovering the data is pretty much a lost cause...
It sounds like your only alternatives may be professional data recovery services, which would be costly depending on how seriously you want the recovered data.

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
The thing is if you can't get a conventional computer to recognize the m.2 then the recovery tools most likely will also not recognize the m.2., especially if the m.2 or motherboard socket circuity are damaged.

Sorry I digress, that's a seprate issue. The main problem is identifying the new one.
But, yeah back to the problem at hand, I'm going to try one more thing and unless anybody else has any ideas i'm going to try and dig into my wallet.

Last edited:
Sorry I digress, that's a seprate issue. The main problem is identifying the new one.
But, yeah back to the problem at hand, I'm going to try one more thing and unless anybody else has any ideas i'm going to try and dig into my wallet.
Last resort: you could buy an external m.2 enclosure (e.g. Sabrent EC-SNVE which I use) and try accessing your m.2 that way. If sucessful, you'll have your files and if not, the m.2 is probably dead.