[SOLVED] Can SSD write itself to motherboad??

Nov 13, 2019
Hello. So my old Fujitsu laptop had problem with Windows booatloader. everytime I installed windows 10 / or 7 on it I never got to actually boot it up due to bootloader missing messages on startup. But it works fine with Ubuntu 9.

I grabbed Asus notebook today thinking I could swap drives, Install windows 10 there and make it bootable on my Fujitsu that way. So I did. Windows still didn't work when I put SSD back in to Fujitsu but Ubuntu did work fine. Then I switched on the Asus notebook to check everything was ok, and I was shocked to see that it booted up from my Fujitsu drive which already was physicaly removed from laptop. so it booted up from Windows 10 I had just installed with same ID and nothing other then Windows files on drive C. All the other drives, that was prior on the notebook is still there, including one with old windows installation.

Is this a thing that I just don't know about? Note that Asus Notebook has regular Hard Drive where as Fujitsu has SSD drive but it's pretty old too.

It's a bit of a clickbait but really the only way I can think this could happen is if the ssd somehow left it's "data" or "information" written on other laptop or on its motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
  • Create Windows install media using Microsoft's media creation tool
  • Install the SSD in the desired laptop and make sure no other storage devices of any kind are connected (other HDDs/SSDs, etc.)
  • Plug in Windows USB installer and boot from it
  • From the installer, delete all partitions on the SSD (the installer will automatically create new ones as it needs later)
  • Proceed with the install
Having a bit of trouble interpreting what the situation is.

1. Can't install Windows on Fujitsu laptop; bootloader missing message.
  2. Attempt to install Windows on SSD in an Asus laptop, and then install this SSD in Fujitsu laptop.
  3. SSD (with Asus Windows installation) fails to load/boot in Fujitsu laptop.
  4. Asus laptop boots with Windows 10.

From that information there are two particular aspects I'm puzzled about.

A. Where have you installed Ubuntu?
B. Why are you surprised the Asus laptop booted with Windows 10?

One thing I can say is that your plan of installing Windows 10 to the SSD on the Asus and then transfer to the Fujitsu would likely have resulted in boot/performance issues as it would have been set up with Asus laptop specs in mind. And if it's using an OEM licence then it wouldn't work anyway as such licences are tied to the motherboard.

Just came across a case where there are certain things which can be written to the motherboard, as it were, but doesn't apply in this case.

Nov 13, 2019
Having a bit of trouble interpreting what the situation is.

1. Can't install Windows on Fujitsu laptop; bootloader missing message.
  2. Attempt to install Windows on SSD in an Asus laptop, and then install this SSD in Fujitsu laptop.
  3. SSD (with Asus Windows installation) fails to load/boot in Fujitsu laptop.
  4. Asus laptop boots with Windows 10.
From that information there are two particular aspects I'm puzzled about.

A. Where have you installed Ubuntu?
B. Why are you surprised the Asus laptop booted with Windows 10?

One thing I can say is that your plan of installing Windows 10 to the SSD on the Asus and then transfer to the Fujitsu would likely have resulted in boot/performance issues as it would have been set up with Asus laptop specs in mind. And if it's using an OEM licence then it wouldn't work anyway as such licences are tied to the motherboard.

Just came across a case where there are certain things which can be written to the motherboard, as it were, but doesn't apply in this case.
Hey, thank you for your time

I'll try to answer both of your questions
A: Ubuntu is Installed on my SSD drive (the only drive in my Fujitsu laptop that has problem with windows bootloader)
B: Because... well, the drive Asus boots up from is not in the Asus computer anymore. I already removed it and put it back to Fujitsu which Still loads Ubuntu.

Since I did these steps:

1. I picked up Asus laptop - removed its Hard Drive - I put that Hard Drive aside since I don't need it for the process.
  2. In the place of that Hard Drive in Asus laptop I put SSD drive (same one I mentioned above - that belongs to Fujitsu laptop and has Ubuntu on it).
  3. I made fresh windows installation on the SSD drive Using Asus laptop
  4. I removed the SSD from Asus laptop
  5. I put SSD back in Fujitsu (Which doesn't load windows)
  6. I put the same old Hard Drive In Asus and it booted up from the drive which was physically not there - it booted up from SSD I had previously removed from Asus already and it booted up from the fresh installation I had just made. Even when I go in task manager it shows me 2 disks, one that is hard drive, and other says sundisk SSD 24 GB.
How is this possible?

Last edited:
Hard to follow, but I would venture to say you didn't format the drive, OR when you told it to re-install Windows 10 you to it to keep your original files. If this was an upgrade from 7 to 10, it doesn't delete your old file by default. And if it's from a Fujitsu laptop (or a clone of a drive from a Fujitsu laptop), with a separate partition, anything you did on the C drive wouldn't have touched anything on the other partition.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
  • Create Windows install media using Microsoft's media creation tool
  • Install the SSD in the desired laptop and make sure no other storage devices of any kind are connected (other HDDs/SSDs, etc.)
  • Plug in Windows USB installer and boot from it
  • From the installer, delete all partitions on the SSD (the installer will automatically create new ones as it needs later)
  • Proceed with the install

Solution