Can the CPU speed be increased over its limit

• Thread starter Deleted member 1480971
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1480971

Some days before, I was exploring regedit (registry editor) when i came accross something ; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWAE/DESCRIPTION/System/CentralProcessor/0
My CPU is Intel Atom N280 1.66 GHz.
There is a reg_dword value called MHz and it is set to 1662 or 67e.What will happen if I increase the value?

Solution
Yes you c,an increase the speed of your CPU. Which is just overclocking to increase the frequency of the CPU to make it process faster. But before you this, keep in mind that a CPU cooler is recommended so you don't burn or overheat any components. :)
Yes you c,an increase the speed of your CPU. Which is just overclocking to increase the frequency of the CPU to make it process faster. But before you this, keep in mind that a CPU cooler is recommended so you don't burn or overheat any components. :)

Solution
D

Deleted member 1480971

no, if you right click it and change it , it will work

Reboot the computer and look again.

If you really want to risk burning out your components you could try the methods mentioned in this rather old article: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139642/5_ways_to_overclock_a_netbook_really_

It's a little complicated, not a simple Registry edit, and you are unlikely to notice much performance gain. All I would ask is that you don't come back in a few days asking "I tried to overclock my netbook and now it won't work".

Lutfij

Titan
Marios Asikis,
I hope you have a back up machine to log-on to Tom's. This way you can report of your failure(or success depending on how you look at it) and hopefully prevent others from making the same ill fated decision.

FYI, and atom is as the name implies, a crippled processor. It has its place and segment. Overclocking it doesn't change anything and nor will it bring about any revolutionary solution in the tech industry.

My 2 cents.