Can the fans of the evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0 be replaced?

DanGaming

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
So my question is, can the fans of the evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0 be replaced if they die?

Im asking because, after playing for about 1 hour i get this clicking noise coming out of the gpu fans! Im sure its from the gpu fans because the sound stops after i stop the fans! Also the noise doesnt come just after the fans start spinning! It comes about 1 hour after ive started playing a game... so basicly 1 hour after they start spinning! I think its not the speed thats causing it, because i ramped up the speed to 60% ... no sound! It comes after an hour of gaming and the fans being on! They usually run at abour 25% and keep the card at about 70C while left on auto playing games! But after about an hour and a half they start getting to 35% speed and keep the card at 75C ! I dont know if this is normal or not for the card! So the options i have left is RMA the card or keep playing like this ! THe card is brand new .. bought it 2 weeks ago .. the noise started coming 2 days ago! Please help me! Thank you

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Personally I would RMA it instead of trying to replace the cooler yourself. I don't know that I've ever heard of a clicking sound from the cooler before so I'm not sure what that would be. If it was a bearing it should be more constant, but a clicking makes me thing something is touching the fan, like a wire... or something that got into the cooler. EVGAs cooler usually doesn't kick the fan on right away (but other software lets you play with and adjust those settings) so could it be the fans aren't spinning till about an hour into the game when the card heats up to over 50*C?

Either way, 2 weeks in I would RMA it and let EVGA send you a new one as it's not something that is "normal" for the card and I would have for it to be that the fan isn't set right in the cooler and as it spins faster it's knicking the edge of the plastic case.

DanGaming

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

thank you fou for the replay.. first of all .. i know the card fans kick in above 60C .. the card gets 60C as soon as the game starts ... so yeah .. but while the fans are spinning in the first hour or so .. no sound ... sounds kicks in later ... second of all .. yes i do want to RMA it, but i honestly dont know how?? i bought the card from an online irish store cuz i live in ireland ... so how do i rma it? is it easy ? what do i need ? who do i contact ... etc... pls help ? thank you :)

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
There's probably two options: Contact EVGA (through their site probably) or contact the store you bought the card from. The store might exchange it right then and there for you if you are claiming it's defective, which would mean less down time for you. If you go through EVGA, they will probably ask you to ship them the card and then send you a new one after they receive the old one (1-2 weeks downtown probably).

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/ Contact Info and Online Form
http://www.evga.com/howtorma/ RMA Procedures (for US and Canada, but should help you understand the process some)

DanGaming

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

Ill try to play a little more .. for a few days maybe .. see how it is... then ill probobly rma it using the store i bought it from cuz its faster as you said .. But still .. can you tell me if its possible and is it really hard to replace the fan if its dies? Is it expensive? Is it hard? How do i do it? Where do i get the fans from? Thanks again :)

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Double check what the return policy from the store is (look on the receipt maybe). Sometimes they want you to make returns with 14 days or 30 days, so just make sure you don't wait too late. As far as replacing the cooler, you'd need some thermal paste so that's a few bucks right there but the cooler itself you'd probably have to get from EVGA unless you found a busted up card where the cooler still worked (but that's questionable). it would be similar to replacing the cooler on the CPU, but obviously a bit more involved and a larger cooler to handle.