[SOLVED] Can this monitor be fixed?

jchef15

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014
My HP Envy laptop details:

Model: 17m-bw0013dx

S/N: [personal info removed]

I have had my laptop for about 3 years now and I've noticed the glue material on the monitor (bottom left) started to deteriorate and it's messed up the display quality.

Moreover, I'm on my travels and had the laptop in my backpack. The symptoms worsened and now my laptop screen is so deteriorated that the screen resolution is completed ruined and I can't even use the monitor piece.

Is this something that can be replaced easily or do I have to just buy a new laptop altogether?

Please see attached photos in this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...Can-this-monitor-be-fixed/m-p/8363332#M246500

Solution
you will have to replace the panel with a new one and check the cover, if it´s bend. If so, straighten it back before installing a new panel.

fixing the existing panel is not possible, it´s broken

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Any qualified laptop service center (HP service centers?) should be able to replace the display with all the ribbon cables and all that goes from body to the display I think.

Replace? Yes. Fix? I'd say no.

And to me, personally, the cost of repacing the display would be a factor. If it costs like 1/3 or half of the price of a new laptop I woudln't replace.

While laptops are portable, they still are somewhat delicate.
Bouncing in a backpack may well have contributed to the failure.

The display would need to be replaced, but, then, you may repeat the damage.

I think I would replace the laptop instead.
Paying a bit more attention to how rugged the unit is.