Can this work ? multiple molex conectors/hue+/usb extension/lost of rgb

kappisto

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
So my problem, i wanted to add some lighting to this build(listed below), so i mindlessly bought NZXT HUE+ some NZXT Aer RGB Series RF-AR140-T1 fans pluged all in, fans working everything looks okay, then i realized i already have all usb on my MB filled up, s i took NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 USB Expansion which i had for reasons like that, but then i realized that both HUE+ and USB expansion go into my PSU with Molex cable, which i already filled with Case lights, but that molex cable which came with psu got several conectors. So for the question is it possible or more like is it even safe to plug nzxt hue+,nzxt usb expansion, 3 rgb fans and some random little case light to 1 molex cable and to that psu which i got, if it wont idk overheat that cable so it would caught on fire or the psu wont handle it, i dont know what might hapens. I mean its not like i need those lights its just a nice touch for my build. So its it i want to ask all of you, or atleast those who came here to help me, share ur ideas, ur wisdom, whatever u got, thanks a lot.

Build:
Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
ASRock - Fatal1ty B250 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Gainward - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB PHOENIX Golden Sample Video Card
NZXT - H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So, you have a same issue as i had when i bought HUE+ for my Skylake build, with 3 devices that need USB 2.0 internal connectors while MoBo has only 2x USB 2.0 internal connectors.

Here's what i did to solve my issue:
Since HUE+ has micro-USB connector, i bought micro-USB to USB 2.0 cable and routed it from HUE+ to the back I/O of my MoBo (plenty of free USB ports there).
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Micro-USB-USB-2-0-Cable/dp/B013PVKQHC

Since your Kraken pump also has micro-USB connector, you can route the micro-USB to USB 2.0 cable between your AIO pump and back I/O of your MoBo if you don't want to route it from your HUE+. This way, you can connect HUE+ directly to your MoBo's internal USB 2.0 header.

With this micro-USB to USB 2.0 cable, you don't need to use your NZXT internal USB hub at all and that alleviates your molex connector issue with one less molex connector to connect to your PSU.

Though, do note that using NZXT internal USB hub adds latency to the all devices connected to it. The more devices you connect to it, the higher the latency will be.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Although I certainly can accept that finding enough USB ports for many accessories can be a problem, OP's query was about POWER from Molex outputs of the PSU. One set of power cables from the PSU that carries three or four Molex output connectors can supply MANY amps - 10 easily. So yes, you can plug those devices you talk about all into Molex outputs on the same set of wires.

kappisto

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

Well, there is 3rd usb 2.0 internal conector at mobo its just i cant get the cable there the other ones are blocking it
it can be seen here
http://www.asrock.com.tw/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B250%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Manual
so if i could somehow get that cable from hue+ there i would not have to try other solutions,
There is 4 pin 2.0 usb marked at mobo but there isnt enough space for conector to go there, or im mising something there.

but ur solution is interesting and i might have to do it in the end, also other post confirmed that i can use multiple things on 1 molex cable so it will be only hue and the case lights which i think wont be problem for psu.

kappisto

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

So there wont be any problem with it? the cable and psu can rly handle it, if yes thank you very much for ur help.
my only worry was that i will like stress that cable so much with more devices that it might oveheat or caught on fire eventualy so...
better ask then calling fire department in the end.
thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your PSU outputs 62.4A at +12V rail and 24A at +5V and +3.3V rails, so there's ample of power for your molex connections. Also, EVGA G3 series has great build quality and there is no need to worry about overloading and/or melting cables.