Question can USB port destroy my hardware

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
so im on my PC, and i just use my keyboard as usual but then there's an unplugged USB notification and my keyboard just stopped working for no reason, it was a logitech G512 which has an USB passthrough and the passthrough works fine, yet the keyboard is just not working anymore.... i've tried restarting, replugging it in, reinstalling logitech driver... but windows just doesnt detect the keyboard anymore, so i switched to my old keyboard then a couple of hours later its my logitech g633 headset that stopped working out of nowhere,i replug it in and still doesnt work the windows didnt detect my headset at all(so i tried the 3.5mm line on my phone and it works fine).. but the USB doesnt work anymore
question is... is it my hardware that is just starting to fail out of nowhere, or could it all be caused by my PC's USB port?

Last edited:

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
When did you install your OS? Is that a fresh install?
Recently used a driver booster or similar software which "autodetects" drivers and download them?
i upgrade my OS from win 7 to win 10 less than 6 months ago and i never use any software that autodetects driver and download them, unless logitech gaming software is considered one of it

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
I would say do a fresh clean install of Win10 because these Upgrades from Win7/Win8 to Win10 are not
recommendable.
I guess a windows update did cause you this problem.

You can download Media Creation Tool from official microsoft website and create a bootable usb with it.
You just need a 8GB usb.

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
I would say do a fresh clean install of Win10 because these Upgrades from Win7/Win8 to Win10 are not
recommendable.
I guess a windows update did cause you this problem.

You can download Media Creation Tool from official microsoft website and create a bootable usb with it.
You just need a 8GB usb.
is it really windows update that cause this?
i read about one of the windows security update that has problems with USB port but i dont have that installed... and i forgot to add that the keyboard just doesnt work anymore, even when i try it on another laptop/pc... the headset on the other hand has the same issue but it works after i left it for a couple of hours
Edit : the front or back port doesnt seems to have difference, the headset just started emitting the loud noises again no matter which port i plug it in even on other laptop
Update : the headset USB also doesn't work now, yet the 3.5mm is still working

Last edited:

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
hy, sorry for the late update... but for the past month i rarely have any problems with my USB ports, the only problem that occurs is probably where some USB device didn't work when i start it up, but then a simple replugging in would make it work again