[SOLVED] Can VPN Providers access you personal data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi,

Long story short, I brought a Lifetime VPN and since then my relationship with the VPN provider have soured. I know this comes from my paranoid thoughts, but I was wondering if VPN provider have the ability to access my personal data or see data that I am accessing through the Internet.

If so, what is the extent of the data that they can access; such as only website data without HTTPS or everything including passwords?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Not a lot anymore. VPN used to be mostly used to prevent interception of data like in a public hotspot. Now with HTTPS everything is encrypted. If you use the options in chrome or firefox they can't even spy on the DNS lookups.

Pretty much all you can intercept is the IP addresses and those don't mean as much since many sites are using cloud based virtual servers and many ip just map back to those large hosting companies.

VPN mostly is used to get around location restrictions more than privacy because the data is so secure even without a vpn.
Not a lot anymore. VPN used to be mostly used to prevent interception of data like in a public hotspot. Now with HTTPS everything is encrypted. If you use the options in chrome or firefox they can't even spy on the DNS lookups.

Pretty much all you can intercept is the IP addresses and those don't mean as much since many sites are using cloud based virtual servers and many ip just map back to those large hosting companies.

VPN mostly is used to get around location restrictions more than privacy because the data is so secure even without a vpn.

Reactions: VERSION_1583
Solution

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021

Thank you for your reply.

I have just activated enhanced protection on Google and set my DNS to 1.1.1.1 (Cloud flare). Is there anything else I should make use of to increase security and privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.