Question Can we force double click for everything?

Jun 20, 2021
My friend has muscle spasms and because of this, she has accidentally deleted things, closed out of things she hasn't saved, etc. She wants to have to double click for everything so that this doesn't keep happening. All her dad and I are able to find is the setting to toggle single or double click in order to open programs. Are there even accessibility settings for this? Is there something she can do to force this?

Jun 20, 2021
Let her try a touch screen to see if it works better than a mouse.

Otherwise you can try to adjust the double-click speed.
She would have the same problems on a touch screen. She'd just have to touch something once, or move something once, and whatever it is is gone. In that case she would need double tap, which would be the same thing

gardenman

Splendid
This can be done by creating a simple script with AutoHotKey (AHK), but as others have said above, they are likely better ways to do things.

I'm not sure what problems you will run into, having everything double click. It's likely you will run into some issues. Such as menus popping up then popping down before you can access them.

Anyway, if you still want to have single clicks changed to double clicks with AHK, download and install it. Open notepad and copy/paste the following script in:

Code:
LButton::
MouseClick, Left
MouseClick, Left
return

Save it as DblClick.ahk. The .AHK file extension is important. You can then double click on the script to run it. It will show up in the tray (beside of the clock). You can right click on it there to close it out (and stop the single to double clicking).

Jun 20, 2021
This can be done by creating a simple script with AutoHotKey (AHK), but as others have said above, they are likely better ways to do things.

I'm not sure what problems you will run into, having everything double click. It's likely you will run into some issues. Such as menus popping up then popping down before you can access them.

Anyway, if you still want to have single clicks changed to double clicks with AHK, download and install it. Open notepad and copy/paste the following script in:

Code:
LButton::
MouseClick, Left
MouseClick, Left
return

Save it as DblClick.ahk. The .AHK file extension is important. You can then double click on the script to run it. It will show up in the tray (beside of the clock). You can right click on it there to close it out (and stop the single to double clicking).
She wants to have to physically click twice in order to do anything, not to change a single click to register as a double click. Would it be the same principle?

gardenman

Splendid
I see. That's the opposite of what I thinking.

So a web link works with a single click now. You want to have to double click it, and a single click will be ignored.

I can't think of a way to do it since the browser is what controls that. All other software controls their own input too. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Maybe someone else will have an idea.