[SOLVED] Can we run out PC only with heatsink and no fan for a few minuite?

Shivam541141

Prominent
Jun 27, 2019
I know its a very silly question but it had a very old motherboard which have square shaped fan whose wire has been cut by rats and i have to check if the motherboard is working or not? I have to just check its booting or not.

Solution
I only said very little as I didn't want anyone reading this as a reason to not both the fan, couple of mins will be fine, enough to find out if it works anyway.
Keyword here is old: Tom's actually tested this in an interesting video back in the day. PIII locks up but is undamaged, PIV and later can slow to as low as 200MHz and if that is still insufficient will lock up with no damage, Athlon XP burns completely up.

Oh, and hantavirus is worse than Wells.
That's with no HS at all, i'm reading this as HS but no working fan, the lump of metal will keep a lid on it for a very little while.

Even an Athlon would survive that for a long time, if the OP is worried about it, they could just keep a finger on the heatsink the whole time. When the temperature gets unbearable, then it's time to yank the plug.

But all OP probably needs is a fan, not a whole cooler--particularly because they described it as square. Those come in standard sizes of 60mm, 80mm, 92mm etc so they would only need to make sure the plug is the same.