[SOLVED] Can you actually use a x1 PCIe slot for video output?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2021
I put together a little mining rig with a GTX1660S, a GTX 1060 and a RTX 3060. The RTX is on the x16 slot and the other two are connected on x1 slots through riser cables. I can only get video output on the 3060 which is fine if I don't do anything other than mining (hashsrate drops). However, I still gotta use my PC for other stuff. What I wanna know is if it is possible to somehow get video output from one of the GPUs connected on the x1 PCIe slots.

All cards get detected by the OS (Win10)
Motherboard is Asus H87 PLUS
GPU driver is 470.05
Risers VER009s

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to read through this thread;

Reactions: thoml9
Solution
May 5, 2021
Might want to read through this thread;
Ok, so it should work. Don't know what I'm missing then. I can't get output on either card when they're on the x1 slots but, If they're on the x16 I'm able to get video output.

Have I misunderstood something?

InvalidError

Titan
I don't see why either. Do I have to change something in the motherboard BIOS? Upgrade it maybe?
The only GPU settings in BIOS is usually whether you want to prioritize IGP or PCIe for boot-time output and how much system RAM you want to reserve for IGP when enabled. Nothing in there should affect Windows' ability to use the GPUs once booted and if you are already running them for mining, then they are already working as far as Windows and drivers are concerned.

Nvidia does not officially support running GPUs on less than x4, that could be part of your problem.

Reactions: thoml9
May 5, 2021
The only GPU settings in BIOS is usually whether you want to prioritize IGP or PCIe for boot-time output and how much system RAM you want to reserve for IGP when enabled. Nothing in there should affect Windows' ability to use the GPUs once booted and if you are already running them for mining, then they are already working as far as Windows and drivers are concerned.

Nvidia does not officially support running GPUs on less than x4, that could be part of your problem.
I got it to work somehow. I changed one of the risers to the other x16 slot (I think this one runs at x4) and I plugged an HDMI dummy on the RTX. But I got another issue now, for some reason, when I plug the HDMI dummy, windows recognizes that as the main display and splits the screen in two different monitors. I can't open anything because any software opens in the dummy plug. How do I fix this? Should be easy, I think

Edit: never mind, got it to to work. Just have to plug the dummy first and then the actual monitor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.