[SOLVED] Can you check if i my cooler fan is set in the right position ?

Oct 13, 2020
Hello there,

finally yesterday i built my 3970x workstation! I nearly had an heart attack because i had no video output on the monitor but thank to this forum i realized i didn't not plugged in the 8pin CPU power on the MOBO, so now it seems all fine.

one question though:

(this is my second build in 7 years., so i am pretty noob) I m afraid that i installed the Noctua CPU fan on the wrong side of the cooler. I can't find a video or a tutorial of my specific case, most people plug 2 fans (and i think i ll plug another one too) but i just need your blessing to change the airflow orientation on the opposite side of the cooler (so to the right). I attach you a pic of my build,

View: https://imgur.com/a/MFMQbdo

thanks in advance!

Marco

Solution
Front of the fan sucks, back of the fan blows. That's airflow direction.

As thin as those coolers are physically, there's still a lot of air coming out the backside of the heatsink at a high rate, the cooling has already been done in the middle. Adding a second fan to the backside is only going to suck in that already heated air and shove it at the rear exhaust fan. So it ends up doing very little to help the front fan move the air through. So does very little to help cooling.

If it was a pretty thick heatsink, the front fan would struggle more to push the air through, so having a rear fan sucking the air from behind is a help and thats where you'd see any real temp differences between single or dual fans. But with your heatsink being...
Hello there,

finally yesterday i built my 3970x workstation! I nearly had an heart attack because i had no video output on the monitor but thank to this forum i realized i didn't not plugged in the 8pin CPU power on the MOBO, so now it seems all fine.

one question though:

(this is my second build in 7 years., so i am pretty noob) I m afraid that i installed the Noctua CPU fan on the wrong side of the cooler. I can't find a video or a tutorial of my specific case, most people plug 2 fans (and i think i ll plug another one too) but i just need your blessing to change the airflow orientation on the opposite side of the cooler (so to the right). I attach you a pic of my build,

View: https://imgur.com/a/MFMQbdo

thanks in advance!

Marco
No, it should be on other side of the cooler to blow thru it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Front of the fan sucks, back of the fan blows. That's airflow direction.

As thin as those coolers are physically, there's still a lot of air coming out the backside of the heatsink at a high rate, the cooling has already been done in the middle. Adding a second fan to the backside is only going to suck in that already heated air and shove it at the rear exhaust fan. So it ends up doing very little to help the front fan move the air through. So does very little to help cooling.

If it was a pretty thick heatsink, the front fan would struggle more to push the air through, so having a rear fan sucking the air from behind is a help and thats where you'd see any real temp differences between single or dual fans. But with your heatsink being so skinny, the only thing you'd see is maybe a 1°-3°C lowering of temps at maximum cpu output.

Basically all you'd be doing is adding noise with a second cpu fan.

Not sure exactly Why you felt you needed one of the largest, and most expensive psus (it's one of the best possible for a pc) for such a small load pc, unless you have future plans for a Rtx3090, a RMx 650w at 1/3rd the price could easily have dealt with that cpu/gpu combo.

I mean it's awesome that you went overboard to such a degree in size and quality of the psu, most beginners don't, they skimp on the psu because the gpu costs so much, but that psu is more than a jump overboard, it's overboard and land in another country kind of overboard. 🤣

Reactions: CountMike
Solution