Question Can you help me set up rx 7900 xt?

CHEFY

Prominent
Jan 20, 2023
So I have a Powercolor rx 7900 xt reference card, and I want to tune it in the best possible way. I have some threads in the AD software; can you please take a look and suggest which of them is looking the best?

View: https://imgur.com/a/bqsG1WC

My PC:
Ryzen 7 5800x (Oc +0.2GHZ)
b550 msi
2x8 3800 cl 18 OCed
850w gold full modular PSU
4xArctic tunable Fans.
Just in case if you are interested: I have 1080P 165hz monitor.

So I have a Powercolor rx 7900 xt reference card, and I want to tune it in the best possible way. I have some threads in the AD software; can you please take a look and suggest which of them is looking the best?

View: https://imgur.com/a/bqsG1WC

My PC:
Ryzen 7 5800x (Oc +0.2GHZ)
b550 msi
2x8 3800 cl 18 OCed
850w gold full modular PSU
4xArctic tunable Fans.
Just in case if you are interested: I have 1080P 165hz monitor.
Well for a start you should run everything to default and create a baseline for your OC's.

You do realize, that OC'ing already OC'd cards yields nothing in terms of FPS.?

Have you tried the OC scanner in MSI Afterburner?

Otherwsie, raise mem speed in chunks of 100-200 mhz. Up the core with +0.05 increments. At each increase test with Superposition or the like. Rince repat untill you get some errors, shutdowns or artefacts.

If any of those happen, then dial back the OC a notch or two till stable.

Reactions: CHEFY and Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Well for a start you should run everything to default and create a baseline for your OC's.

You do realize, that OC'ing already OC'd cards yields nothing in terms of FPS.?

Have you tried the OC scanner in MSI Afterburner?

Otherwsie, raise mem speed in chunks of 100-200 mhz. Up the core with +0.05 increments. At each increase test with Superposition or the like. Rince repat untill you get some errors, shutdowns or artefacts.

If any of those happen, then dial back the OC a notch or two till stable.
Wait, OC'ing already OC'd cards doesn't improve performance? I don't understand that because you are still making the card faster so it should still increase performance, right?

Overclocking a new card is a terrible idea. The RX 7900 XT is already wickedly-fast. Overclocking a card is best used when the card is old and you just want to extend its life a bit so you have time to find a replacement.

Personally, I can't remember ever overclocking any of my video cards and I've had twenty-two video cards over my lifetime thus far. If you want to tune it, I would only recommend undervolting it.

Wait, OC'ing already OC'd cards doesn't improve performance? I don't understand that because you are still making the card faster so it should still increase performance, right?
Well, it's pretty much standard fare for the lest gen/current gen of GPU's. The nVIdia boost tech, means the GPU will literally post it's highest clocks, dependent on a number of factors. They include GPU temps, voltage and cooling. It does this on the fly with no user input. No OC'ing required.

With that said, and as you illustrated, even a small increase could be considered an OC. However, if it's a 5% increase overall, that translates to just 1-2 fps (game dependent). At the FPS modern cards push, 1-2 fps falls into margin of error. Not even percievable. It's just not worth the extra heat.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Overclocking a new card is a terrible idea. The RX 7900 XT is already wickedly-fast. Overclocking a card is best used when the card is old and you just want to extend its life a bit so you have time to find a replacement.

Personally, I can't remember ever overclocking any of my video cards and I've had twenty-two video cards over my lifetime thus far. If you want to tune it, I would only recommend undervolting it.
I know that my case is an edge case, but overclocking my 6800 might give me more performance in Minecraft RTX, which I need all the performance I can get.

CHEFY

Prominent
Jan 20, 2023
Well, it's pretty much standard fare for the lest gen/current gen of GPU's. The nVIdia boost tech, means the GPU will literally post it's highest clocks, dependent on a number of factors. They include GPU temps, voltage and cooling. It does this on the fly with no user input. No OC'ing required.

With that said, and as you illustrated, even a small increase could be considered an OC. However, if it's a 5% increase overall, that translates to just 1-2 fps (game dependent). At the FPS modern cards push, 1-2 fps falls into margin of error. Not even percievable. It's just not worth the extra heat.
So would be fair to say that underwolting to 1050 and lowering total board power to -5% is not gonna make me loose lot of frames? Because doing so lowers my hot spot 7 degrees and fan speed is 1000-1150 instead of 1700 with maxed out board power.

If you have some time, I came up with setting like this: I think it's cool, but I don;t have much tome after work to make FPS compearsons sadly :(

I know that my case is an edge case, but overclocking my 6800 might give me more performance in Minecraft RTX, which I need all the performance I can get.
Well, yes, but as you say, it's definitely an edge-case. Trying to play a game that nVidia engineered specifically to crap on Radeon hardware with a Radeon card isn't a good situation.

Since Minecraft isn't exactly a graphical masterpiece to begin with, does FSR help at all?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Well, yes, but as you say, it's definitely an edge-case. Trying to play a game that nVidia engineered specifically to crap on Radeon hardware with a Radeon card isn't a good situation.

Since Minecraft isn't exactly a graphical masterpiece to begin with, does FSR help at all?
Minecraft RTX doesn't have FSR, but I usually use RSR (driver-based FSR basically) to upscale to 1080p so I can hit 60fps.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I would say that's a much better solution than overclocking. It's not like Minecraft (in any form) has incredible graphical fidelity that looks much different when besmirched by upscaling tech.
(this is the last I will say about it so as not to get too far off topic) I have this weird issue where at native resolution minecraft RTX looks blurry, and upscaling fixes it by sharpening I guess.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Funny, all my settings are shown in percentage.
Anyway, I simply reduced voltage 5% and added 5% to max frequency and it runs smooth. I also set the fan curve so that the fans don't ramp up until it hits 65C and to keep it around the 70C I'm targeting, I've set an aggressive curve where 75C would be 100%...not that it gets that high, normally 70% max but it's not very loud.

I68dlt2.png

Reactions: Order 66

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018

Oof that was pretty cringe to read. There are tons of titles where my OC for my 4090 is the difference between stable fps and fluctuating.

Reactions: Wuwu and Order 66
Oof that was pretty cringe to read. There are tons of titles where my OC for my 4090 is the difference between stable fps and fluctuating.

I dunno, looking a Toms own review OC'ing the difference in FPS isn't huge, and for the most part (as far as I can see) there's not a huge uplift : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-review/9

Maybe more relevant at lower res?

Listing those titles may help the OP or anyone else dipping in to the thread.

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023

26k stock OC.

Manual OC 29k.

ASUS TUF 7900 XT.

image-2023-11-01-231839857.png

SuperPosition.
15.7K up from 13.5K stock.

Screenshot-2023-10-30-223058.png

Screenshot-2023-10-30-224002.png

index.php

Here we see a point score gain of 2202 which is a big enough leap to have the 7900 XT well above the 4070 Ti and just kicking at the heels of an RTX 4080* (pre-overclocked from factory MASTER Edition).

2000 points is the same gap from a 6800 XT to an RTX 3090, it's nothing to stick your nose up at.

This matches an RTX 4080 overclocked which competes with the XTX.

I run 1440P so pushing the card this far has little benefit to me, but at 4K this can easily add upto 15 FPS more.

This card still has a lot of headroom it would only take allowing it to draw around 500w to allow it to hold 3.2ghz solid everywhere, where it would easily dispatch the 4080 like it's it's play toy.
This would be a solid 15 FPS more in almost every game and some gains as high as 20 FPS.

Oh the music you would hear with a 500w bios on this thing...

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
Running synthetic benches will always yield higher results with stronger CPU/GPU and OC. This doesn't translate down the line, and is not the same boost with gaming.

But I get your point.
The video from that guy shows the gains in game, he is also using a mid tier GPU, not the likes of a weapon like the TUF OC which is a fully custom board with the best components ASUS has to offer.

So gains will be sporadic and I don;t expect the OP to be able to gain a clock speed over 2.8ghz consistently.

The MBA 7900 XT's run at 2.4ghz and 2.5 boost, the OP's can score around the 13.5K result in Superposition.
The biggest translation of RDNA3's OC scalability is at 4K because there every bit of FPS you can get is a benefit in heavier games.

Still the gain from stock to where my card is.. is pretty big even in games, not all games will benefit, so it comes down to what game you are running too.

You just ran off with saying all overclocks give nothing and it is just not true,

I can understand why though, my old 3070 only did 2075mhz stable and you gain barely anything from an OC with it, just like your 3060 Ti.

I am still king on Overclockers UK with my old 3070 in Heaven 4.0

Screenshot-2023-11-08-180641.png

Last edited:
You just ran off with saying all overclocks give nothing and it is just not true,
That's not quite what I said, and I'd add that I gave a brief explanation of how to do it! (OC) ;)

I run all my cards faster than stock, and CPU too. I guess it's different for me. I'm not chasing a top score on a chart. I just like to play my games comfortably and with the eye candy I like. If I'm pushing 145fps on BF2042, will I see the difference between it and 165fps? Prob not. And not for most people either.

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
That's not quite what I said, and I'd add that I gave a brief explanation of how to do it! (OC) ;)

I run all my cards faster than stock, and CPU too. I guess it's different for me. I'm not chasing a top score on a chart. I just like to play my games comfortably and with the eye candy I like. If I'm pushing 145fps on BF2042, will I see the difference between it and 165fps? Prob not. And not for most people either.
I will hold you to this, I shall do the work for you.

Be back soon.

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
I chose RE4 because it has an in-built scalable resolution scaler which will allow the game to run at 4K if I just up the quality slider to 200%.

Oddly RT on vs off made no difference to performance?

Also this is on topic, the OP has a 7900 XT, it will help them make clearer overall decisions, to OC or not, especially if they feel the gains given are not needed.

Granted RE4 is not hard to run for any modern card with more than 8GB Vram.

However the gains were noted of around 15 FPS in this title, from 1080P and at 4K.

Is this going to impact game play for me? No.
Would it impact me if my game runs at 50 FPS at 4K? yes.

So lets say you want to play Alan Wake II with RT enabled or at 4K.. the OC is definitely going to improve things.

Video is still processing.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I dunno, looking a Toms own review OC'ing the difference in FPS isn't huge, and for the most part (as far as I can see) there's not a huge uplift : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-review/9

Maybe more relevant at lower res?

Listing those titles may help the OP or anyone else dipping in to the thread.
I can when I get back but it won't be relevant. My 4090 is crossflashed and overclocked (Double overclock essentially). As mentioned it's not peak fps, it's stability.

And I don't think so for lower res, you'll bottleneck before that comes into play id say.

Ive been a pixel snob since getting my first ever gaming PC so I max everything out at 4K and lower some settings until I can at least 100 or 120 fps, those are my target rates.

TRENDING THREADS