[SOLVED] Can you mod and expand an AIO?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Yes, I know that AIO's are sealed and self isolated, etc. I was wondering with modding in mind - changing something the way it was normally intended. So, I was wondering about the idea of cutting one of the tubes and adding a reservoir, or other kinds of ideas like that.
So far all Google searches just pull up changing the fans or colour.

Solution
This thread is really going off onto different tangents.

Chilled water - now you are dealing with sub ambient and dewpoint accumulation, if cold enough. You also no longer want radiators because it is counter productive.

AIO pumps and expanding to 'custom loops' - Again, pricing is the reason why custom loops are where they are in the market, you are also getting what you pay for. Pumps are far, far more powerful. Radiators are brass and copper, not aluminum. Blocks are made of pure copper and acrylic and other materials and better performing. So, there's a big jump in quality and performance.

Adding additional radiators - radiators are some of the least restrictive components in a cooling loop, but AIO pumps are still very low...
Yes, I know that AIO's are sealed and self isolated, etc. I was wondering with modding in mind - changing something the way it was normally intended. So, I was wondering about the idea of cutting one of the tubes and adding a reservoir, or other kinds of ideas like that.
So far all Google searches just pull up changing the fans or colour.
Yes you can there are several videos out there on how you do it even linus tech tips on youtube has videos on it somewhere.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You technically can, but it voids the warranty if it fails.

There are some AIOs which are expandable, so you might check into those, otherwise, you would be far better off building a custom loop or using a kit - the pumps in AIOs are not meant to really be very powerful and the flow rate is not what you would want for a larger cooling loop.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Generally no real reason to.
The pumps that are integrated into the waterblock are passable at best for the existing loop, adding in more components or reservoirs will likely cause premature pump failure from the additional load.
Plus there are all the other considerations, like why bother adding a res? So you can add more coolant to a previously closed, no maintenance system?

I personally woulnt call breaking an AIO apart and adding components a mod, you are replicating an already existing set of hardware (custom loop).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Plus there are all the other considerations, like why bother adding a res? So you can add more coolant to a previously closed, no maintenance system?

Agreed. Seems like an effort in futility.

Otherwise, if this is a response to seeing 'someone else do it', again, you're much, much MUCH better off just building a custom loop or getting a real kit. The performance is not going to be a 1:1 for a modded AIO and actual watercooling loops.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
You can. You need a reservoir if you want it to look "better" but it's optional, you can also refill it using a bucket, did it a couple of times, I flush it with bleach in order to kill any bacteria and remove gunk, then fill it with distilled water or coloured coolant (only if tubes are transparent).

Where I live custom is impossible to get and buying it from the US costs a kidney so we do what we can with the few Corsair/NZXT AIOs that are still in working condition or just mod the chinese units with longer tubes, a better coolant, new pumps and stuff like that, ghetto modding so to speak.
Make sure the tubes stay tight if you're replacing them, I use glue and hose clamps, I recently found out that some car fuel line tubes fit perfectly into the blocks and radiators. As long as the pump is powerful enough you can pretty much do anything even with junk parts to have your own custom cooled PC, may look out of the scrapyard but your CPU stays cool.

Reactions: mac_angel

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
You can. You need a reservoir if you want it to look "better" but it's optional, you can also refill it using a bucket, did it a couple of times, I flush it with bleach in order to kill any bacteria and remove gunk, then fill it with distilled water or coloured coolant (only if tubes are transparent).

Where I live custom is impossible to get and buying it from the US costs a kidney so we do what we can with the few Corsair/NZXT AIOs that are still in working condition or just mod the chinese units with longer tubes, a better coolant, new pumps and stuff like that, ghetto modding so to speak.
Make sure the tubes stay tight if you're replacing them, I use glue and hose clamps, I recently found out that some car fuel line tubes fit perfectly into the blocks and radiators. As long as the pump is powerful enough you can pretty much do anything even with junk parts to have your own custom cooled PC, may look out of the scrapyard but your CPU stays cool.
yea, that's exactly my point. Yea, I'd love to pick up a custom kit. But 1, they are expensive AF. and 2, no one seems to have them in stock.
So, I was wondering about simply adding a reservoir to my loop. Obviously flush it and add more coolant. And I'm not talking about buying a new AIO to do this with, but one that I've had for a number of years.
Also, what about being able to use the rad from an AIO to a custom kit? Either not have to buy another rad with the kit, or having two rads.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
You technically can, but it voids the warranty if it fails.

There are some AIOs which are expandable, so you might check into those, otherwise, you would be far better off building a custom loop or using a kit - the pumps in AIOs are not meant to really be very powerful and the flow rate is not what you would want for a larger cooling loop.
I already have the AIO, for a few years now, so the warranty is past. The question wasn't a matter buying an AIO to mod, but I have one already. In Canada, most places do not have any of the watercooling kits. I found the basic EKWB EK 240 kit for over $700 on Amazon. Buying parts separately would probably be even more expensive.

yea, that's exactly my point. Yea, I'd love to pick up a custom kit. But 1, they are expensive AF. and 2, no one seems to have them in stock.
So, I was wondering about simply adding a reservoir to my loop. Obviously flush it and add more coolant. And I'm not talking about buying a new AIO to do this with, but one that I've had for a number of years.
Also, what about being able to use the rad from an AIO to a custom kit? Either not have to buy another rad with the kit, or having two rads.
The pump would not support a second radiator, and the AIO rads typically have poor flow when compared to custom models.
So at this point you would have added a res, needed to replace the pump (which means a new waterblock because its integrated), and realistically should use a new rad.
You have now purchased an entire custom loop.

Reactions: mac_angel

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
The pump would not support a second radiator, and the AIO rads typically have poor flow when compared to custom models.
So at this point you would have added a res, needed to replace the pump (which means a new waterblock because its integrated), and realistically should use a new rad.
You have now purchased an entire custom loop.
Which I can't afford, by a long shot.
Looking around EKWB's site, they really don't like to tell you what sockets the CPU blocks support for some reason. I have an Intel Core i9 10940X and a Corsair H115i, and I'm constantly thermal throttled (no surprise). I've wanted to get into custom loop, but just the water block is more than a whole AIO. Then there's the pump, rad, tubes, fittings, reservoir, etc.

Which I can't afford, by a long shot.
Looking around EKWB's site, they really don't like to tell you what sockets the CPU blocks support for some reason. I have an Intel Core i9 10940X and a Corsair H115i, and I'm constantly thermal throttled (no surprise). I've wanted to get into custom loop, but just the water block is more than a whole AIO. Then there's the pump, rad, tubes, fittings, reservoir, etc.
Its very easy to find the sockets, if you scroll down on the product page it tells you. For example: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-velocity-rgb-nickel-plexi
CPU socket compatibility:
  • Intel LGA-1200
  • Intel LGA-1150/1151/1155/1156
  • Intel LGA-2011(-3)
  • Intel LGA-2066

Also not to sound condescending as I get monetary restrictions, but buying an 800 dollar processor with a 165w TDP and expecting conventional cooling to work was somewhat of a stretch.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Its very easy to find the sockets, if you scroll down on the product page it tells you. For example: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-velocity-rgb-nickel-plexi
CPU socket compatibility:
  • Intel LGA-1200
  • Intel LGA-1150/1151/1155/1156
  • Intel LGA-2011(-3)
  • Intel LGA-2066
Also not to sound condescending as I get monetary restrictions, but buying an 800 dollar processor with a 165w TDP and expecting conventional cooling to work was somewhat of a stretch.
not disagreeing, yet here I am. While not exactly relevant to my question, I spent my afternoon in the hospital having my brain scanned. For the past few years, doctors have been telling me that the little "episodes" I've been having are "just anxiety attacks". Now that they've listened a little more, they think I might be having seizures. This is on top of me having congenital heart failure, EDS, and Dysautonomia. Not able to work, never be able to work again, and now may lose my license. Can't exactly have someone driving around that may have a seizure.
The seizures aren't light related. Never had any issues with gaming or anything on the PC. They are completely random.
So, yea, Got a pretty expensive CPU, but I saved and upgraded from a 6850k, which was replaced by Intel when I had to RMA my 5930K. If I get 5+ years out of this, I think I'd be doing pretty good. Especially if I can find creative ways to help cool it that won't cost me $1000

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Just a reservoir? so you can add longer tubes or..? how big? a small one could do the trick depending on what's your AIO.
Reusing the rad for a custom loop will work if all of the parts have the same barb size (3/8, 1/4, etc) and you get a decent pump.

EKWB stuff... it's just waaay out of my league, even the prices for the US makes me shiver, some parts are worth more than I earn in 2-3 months, madness.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Just a reservoir? so you can add longer tubes or..? how big? a small one could do the trick depending on what's your AIO.
Reusing the rad for a custom loop will work if all of the parts have the same barb size (3/8, 1/4, etc) and you get a decent pump.

EKWB stuff... it's just waaay out of my league, even the prices for the US makes me shiver, some parts are worth more than I earn in 2-3 months, madness.
I was just wondering about options, kind of thing. I have three Corsair AIO water coolers in my home, in use. In my gaming system, it's an H115i Pro, sitting on a Core i9 10940X. It could definitely use a bit stronger cooling.
I've sort of been wish listing a water chiller, much like they use for aquariums for a while now. They are expensive, but have a pump, and actively cool the water/coolant. I'd need to figure out something for the condensation, too, though.
I found this last night when I was searching around for water cooling kits online and remembered the idea of the water chillers. These usually go for $500+, so seriously considering pulling the trigger on this, even if I don't have the CPU block yet. I'm pretty handy, so I could get that, make a reservoir, and add a CPU block to the loop and it would still be way cheaper than those kits. And potentially cool a lot more, too, being active cooling.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
#17 condensation happens if the coolant is below ambient temp, the closest I've done involved a pump inside a 3L reservoir filled with distilled water, single 240mm rad, done it for a friend with an overclocked 3770K, still works, looks aren't my expertise but doesn't matters when the case has a solid panel.

You'd need a large tank to use the chiller, has to be outside the case for sure, google the Thermaltake Aquarius III, mid-00s, sat on top of the case with the tubes going through a expansion slot bracket.

The block could be anything from a $300 EKWB block to an AIO block without the impeller. Planning on building something for my computer soon, just need to find a reservoir that fits my case and a pump.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
#17 condensation happens if the coolant is below ambient temp, the closest I've done involved a pump inside a 3L reservoir filled with distilled water, single 240mm rad, done it for a friend with an overclocked 3770K, still works, looks aren't my expertise but doesn't matters when the case has a solid panel.

You'd need a large tank to use the chiller, has to be outside the case for sure, google the Thermaltake Aquarius III, mid-00s, sat on top of the case with the tubes going through a expansion slot bracket.

The block could be anything from a $300 EKWB block to an AIO block without the impeller. Planning on building something for my computer soon, just need to find a reservoir that fits my case and a pump.
Yea, I'm not big about esthetics either. I care about what's displaying on my screen, not how pretty my case is. My case is actually behind the TV, so not even visible. I have the side panel off for more air flow. I have two GTX 1080ti in SLI, each with an aluminum heat sink on top, stuck with double sided thermal tape, and a 140mm fan sitting sideways on both to blow air away from the cards and motherboard. Look pretty? not really. But as I said, I'm not looking at my case. Nor am I showing off how pretty it is. RGB annoys me. Distracting from when I'm trying to pay attention to the screen. RGB is like adding sparkles to something. Which computer companies do, too, lol.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Chilled water - now you are dealing with sub ambient and dewpoint accumulation, if cold enough. You also no longer want radiators because it is counter productive.

AIO pumps and expanding to 'custom loops' - Again, pricing is the reason why custom loops are where they are in the market, you are also getting what you pay for. Pumps are far, far more powerful. Radiators are brass and copper, not aluminum. Blocks are made of pure copper and acrylic and other materials and better performing. So, there's a big jump in quality and performance.

Adding additional radiators - radiators are some of the least restrictive components in a cooling loop, but AIO pumps are still very low pressure and flow, so overall, the coolant flow is going to be just a trickle of fluid, just keep that in mind.

No one is saying you can't do it - just have realistic expectations if you do. Also, the results are not going to indicate the same results you would see in a full custom loop, and I think there is understanding there - although you'd be surprised how many people miss this aspect.

Mineral oil - not as great as a submersive coolant as you think, but the Puget Systems thing still draws a lot of attention. You really need flow within the oil to make this beneficial as oil that does not move, stagnates and creates hot spots. Oil flow means a pump, pumps use o-rings and mineral oil degrades most rubber products. Even if you are providing pump and oil flow, you need a heat exchanger (radiator) and we're back to watercooling, just differently than a normal cooling loop.

Also, oil is much less thermally conductive than water or water-based coolants. This is why your car engine has coolant to cool it and the oil is not - it is primarily used to ease friction and act as a thermal medium so that combustion heat can get transferred to the cooling jackets. Think of engine oil as thermal paste and the cooling system as a liquid cooler (because it is).

Also, mineral oil soaks PCB so it is impossible to get it out if you need to change components, let alone sell them to a secondhand buyer. Thermal compound under heatsinks like north/south bridge or even chipset cooling breaks down, making those heatsinks less effective due to lack of thermal paste. Oil can create hotspots here, also.

Solution

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

Adding additional radiators - radiators are some of the least restrictive components in a cooling loop, but AIO pumps are still very low pressure and flow, so overall, the coolant flow is going to be just a trickle of fluid, just keep that in mind.

No one is saying you can't do it - just have realistic expectations if you do. Also, the results are not going to indicate the same results you would see in a full custom loop, and I think there is understanding there - although you'd be surprised how many people miss this aspect.

Mineral oil - not as great as a submersive coolant as you think, but the Puget Systems thing still draws a lot of attention. You really need flow within the oil to make this beneficial as oil that does not move, stagnates and creates hot spots. Oil flow means a pump, pumps use o-rings and mineral oil degrades most rubber products. Even if you are providing pump and oil flow, you need a heat exchanger (radiator) and we're back to watercooling, just differently than a normal cooling loop.

Also, oil is much less thermally conductive than water or water-based coolants. This is why your car engine has coolant to cool it and the oil is not - it is primarily used to ease friction and act as a thermal medium so that combustion heat can get transferred to the cooling jackets. Think of engine oil as thermal paste and the cooling system as a liquid cooler (because it is).

Also, mineral oil soaks PCB so it is impossible to get it out if you need to change components, let alone sell them to a secondhand buyer. Thermal compound under heatsinks like north/south bridge or even chipset cooling breaks down, making those heatsinks less effective due to lack of thermal paste. Oil can create hotspots here, also.
yea, I knew it was kinda going all over the place, but the basic idea was finding cheap ideas to work with what I had, without adding a lot more expense. Such as the idea of adding a reservoir to an existing AIO. Then with that idea, maybe make my own reservoir out of a bottle and steal my fiance's wine chiller, and then it would be actively cooled, too. Probably not very powerful, but an idea to play around with. And that's something about the past year - having a lot of excess time on our hands. But not money.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Understood. My intent has not been to strike down ideas and tinkering because that's a lot of the fun around custom setups. I just wanted to provide some insight in the event your findings might be different than you had expected, but on the other hand, you might be pleasantly surprised.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
yea, I knew it was kinda going all over the place, but the basic idea was finding cheap ideas to work with what I had, without adding a lot more expense. Such as the idea of adding a reservoir to an existing AIO. Then with that idea, maybe make my own reservoir out of a bottle and steal my fiance's wine chiller, and then it would be actively cooled, too. Probably not very powerful, but an idea to play around with. And that's something about the past year - having a lot of excess time on our hands. But not money.

I wouldn't go for a chiller with a bunch of random parts to work with, adding the reservoir or replacing the tubes would be mostly fine. wine chillers aren't made for a constant usage, they're basically tiny fridges, a fridge compressor works for a couple of minutes then shuts off as there's no need to constantly cool the interior (no heat sources inside)

----- off topic

If you like experiments you could go for your own peltier exchanger, the cold plates cool down moving liquid while the hot side is cooled by a heatsink, a cooler for your cooler.

wba-4.0-0.9-al-01_open_500.jpg

The downsides are large power consumption, talking about 300W or more, large heatsinks and loud fans.

It's the kind of project I'd do for fun if I had the money.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Peltiers can be a lot of work until you get everything functioning correctly. They also require the knowledge to setup and operate since they need dedicated power (in most instances) and the more tensile pressure you can apply, the better.

Several people have setup peltier/TEC setups to water chill their systems. We had a couple guys on our forums do it a while back, but all the images are gone, so all we have left is the text. There was a lot of specific write up that would be helpful if the images were around...a lot of trial and error went into it. It was a great project, but too large and cumbersome for me for right now.