Can you move windows 10 from a drive to a sshd?

silver_haste

Commendable
Sep 20, 2017
I plan on getting a sshd soon (2tb Firecuda gaming drive) and i have my windows 10 on a SUPER slow old Xbox 360 gen one laptop style drive, Is there any way i can transfer windows over when i get the SSHD or maybe just remove the old drive and reinstall windows and use the same key?

Solution
Moving windows to another drive can be done but it can very easily fail. I recommend doing a whole clean reinstall windows. Yes you can use your old activation key but you need to deactivate the other windows keep on old PC first. There are different ways to do it. An easy google search will tell you how to deactivate windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

keatingscool

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Moving windows to another drive can be done but it can very easily fail. I recommend doing a whole clean reinstall windows. Yes you can use your old activation key but you need to deactivate the other windows keep on old PC first. There are different ways to do it. An easy google search will tell you how to deactivate windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

Solution
A clone utility should be able to do the job.

If you reinstall windows on the new sshd, remove the old HDD during the process or windows will place hidden recovery partitions on the old HDD making it difficult to ever run without it.
Your key is tied to the motherboard so no reactivation will not be an issue.

If you are buying a sshd for speed, yes, you will get some improvement, but not usually much.
The nand capacity on a ssdh is not enough to be truly useful.
sshd is most useful in a laptop where you need capacity, but have room for only one drive.

For performance, put windows on a ssd.
Samsung evo of 240gb is sufficient.
Samsung has a nice free windows C drive mover

TRENDING THREADS