[SOLVED] Can you plug LL120 fans directly into motherboard?

iJosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
I currently have the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case with seven LL120 fans, and one Lightning Node Pro. I overestimated how many slots the RGB Hub has (site said it can hold up to 24 RGB fans), so one of the fans is unlit until I buy another 3-pack with a second rgb hub to max the case capacity.

The question I was wondering is if I can just plug the 7th fan's RGB plug directly into the RGB header on the motherboard until I get the rest of the fans? It looks like it would fit but I just thought I'd ask before I go breaking anything.

This is my current build in-progress: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dankh/saved/w6W6D3
GPU not listed on their website, it's an old Radeon R7 250X Series. I also have a 10x fan hub for enough fans to max the case out (Deepcool FH-10)

Last edited:
Solution
yes.
but when connecting RGB devices to your motherboard, just make sure you match 4-pin(RGB) or 3-pin(aRGB) cables & headers properly together.
mix-matching them will cause damage to devices.

Ralston18

Titan
You can but do not do so.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

That said, if am reading your post correctly, you currently have 6 fans, wish to install a 7th, and add three more after that. I may understanding correct?

Is maxing the case fan capacity a true functional requirement for cooling and air flows or just to have more RGB lights?

Either way, the guiding source of information is the system's documentation; User Guides/Manuals.

Read the documentation and double check what you plan to do. Make measurements as necessary.

iJosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
You can but do not do so.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

That said, if am reading your post correctly, you currently have 6 fans, wish to install a 7th, and add three more after that. I may understanding correct?

Is maxing the case fan capacity a true functional requirement for cooling and air flows or just to have more RGB lights?

Either way, the guiding source of information is the system's documentation; User Guides/Manuals.

Read the documentation and double check what you plan to do. Make measurements as necessary.
Sorry, guess it slipped my mind. I've added a pcpartpicker list of my current build

I already have 7 fans, connected to a fan hub (Deepcool FH-10). I will be replacing the GPU and PSU soon, but for now everything works well with no issues. All the fans run but there are only 6 slots on the CORSAIR RGB Hub, so until I buy another one the 7th fan is not lit up. All I was wondering is if I could plug it into the RGB header on the MB, since it looks like it would fit.

For the question about if it's for cooling or just for RGB lights, it's kind of both :LOL: since I have a 5950X I'd like to have as much cooling as possible. I never really spent much time on the look of my pc, so now that I have some disposable income I'm trying to make it a bit more impressive.

Last edited: