Can you tell me if this PC Build is good for my budget please.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
I want to buy a new gaming PC and my budget is about 800/1000 euros.
I want this new PC to be able to play Overwatch on a 144hz monitor with fluency (at least 144 fps on overwatch with low settings) and i want this PC to be able to run correctly without any fps drops on recent games like the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront 2 by EA.
If you can tell me if there is any compatibility problem or if why build doesn't have the best price/performance components. Sorry for ly bad english if i made some mistakes ^^.
Here are the components:

CPU: i5 7500 3,4 GHz KabyLake
-Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 1TO
-SSD PLUS SanDisk SATA III 2,5" 120 Go
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 6G
-Windows 10 Family 32/64bit
MOBO: Asrock B250M PRO4 M-ATX Socket LGA 1151
RAM: HyperX Fury (2x 4 Go) - 2133MHz, DDR4 No-ECC, CL14 DIMM
-BitFenix Nova 120mm (with window)
-be Quiet! Pure Rock
PSU: Corsair VS550

TY for your answer. :D

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For one, you don't need aftermarket CPU cooler for i5-7500. The stock Intel CPU cooler that comes with CPU is more than enough to cool your CPU.

And for two, your PSU is low build quality unit. For far better PSU, pick any Seasonic unit, in 500W range. E.g: S12II-520, M12II-520 EVO, G-550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/bkp323,TgW9TW,fZyFf7,DPCwrH/

Focus+ is the newest PSU line from Seasonic and it comes with 10 years of OEM warranty. Other listed Seasonic PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.
(All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

Oh, you can improve your RAM speed from 2133 Mhz to 2400 Mhz since your MoBo supports 2400 Mhz RAM too. Extra RAM speed can give you some more FPS. (E.g buy a RAM that is rated for 2400 Mhz.)

Your SSD is also at the cheap end and quite small. For better SSD, go for Samsung 850 Evo, preferably in 250GB range,
comparison: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-120GB-vs-SanDisk-SSD-Plus-120GB/3484vsm24452

Other than that, your build looks good.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
Ty for anwering.
I swaped my i5 7500 to a 7600 and i took 2x8 Go of Ram.
Did i really need a new psu ? Even if my corsai vs550 is poor quality it have more than enough watts for the build. I thinking about taking the i5 7600 k just for its native 3.8 Ghz instead of the 3.5 Ghz speed of the 7600. Does the price difference (about 50€) worth the improvement?
And finally can you link one or two good 2x8 GO ram models.
Ty for your answer.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the wattage that matters with PSU, it's the build quality. Better build quality PSUs can hold the voltage within specs without undervolting or overvolting your components. I've seen plenty of "budget" PSUs in my years that claim to output 500W or so, while in reality, they can only deliver about 400W before blowing up.
Here's a good video about such "budget" PSUs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk9OA7aKOE

Corsair VS series is Tier four PSU and if you plan on going with i5-7600K with an intent to OC the CPU and GPU, don't use Corsair VS series PSU,
PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Though, if you go with i5-7600K CPU, you're best to use Z270 chipset MoBo, so you can OC your CPU and also use much faster speeds of RAM than stock 2133/2400 Mhz.
But if you keep your B250 chipset MoBo then there's not much point to pay for an unlocked CPU that you can't overclock.

As far as RAM goes, Corsair Vengeance LPX is good one to go for,
2x 8GB 2400 Mhz: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/hx648d,y9rcCJ/
2x 8GB 3000 Mhz (for Z270 MoBo): https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/MYH48d,2skwrH,Ntp323,6ntWGX/

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

I don't plan to overclock my cpu. i5 7600K have 3.8GHz in native and i5 7600 have 3.5GHz so i will not need z270 chipset mobo.
And even if the VS series is poor quality build my build need 250/300 watts and the vs550 is nearly so double so maybe it will handle my pc well even if it is poor quality. I already have a corsair v550 and i want to avoid buying a new PSU.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Is the EVGA 100-W1-0600-K2 good ? https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=0858FDD0-ECFC-4042-AB7A-50F6EAD12DA9

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA W1 600 (100-W1-0600-K2) has the same low build quality as Corsair VS series. Though, from EVGA, the Supernova lineups are good PSUs to use.

If you feel that your Corsair VS series PSU has enough build quality for your PC then feel free to use it. In the end, it's your PC not mine.
Since i care a lot about all my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD (full specs in my sig), i, personally, won't risk my PC's well being by using a low quality PSU.

You can use B250 chipset MoBo just fine if you only want extra 300 Mhz base clock and extra 100 Mhz boost clock with i5-7600K over i5-7600. I just suggested a MoBo that enables you to get most out of your CPU if you chose to do it someday.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

I don't really understand what "poor quality build" mean. My build need 350/400 watts and the psu is 550. Even if its not the best PSU will it drop under 350/400 watts?
And why is this PSU well rated on selling sites ?
I would like to know what does my computer risk by using this PSU.
And where will you place the gtx 1060 6gb? Low tier gpu, mid tier, or high tier ? Do i really need a 300€+ GPU for my goals (look first post fir my computer goals) ?

Plz answer me about this PSU i'm thinking abouth this since a week and i want to resolve this problem.
Ty for your answer.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Again, it's not about supplying x number of watts, it's about supplying x number of watts *safely*. The Corsair VS aren't the bottom-of-the-barrel garbage, but they're mediocre quality at best.

As for being "rated" on sites, that's absolutely meaningless. An average consumer can't actually evaluate a PSU's performance beyond whether it physically turns on or not.

But as Aeacus noted, in the end, it's your hardware and you're the one who absorbs all the risk. I believe in protecting my equipment with quality parts and I've been rewarded by suffering very few hardware issues over the last 30 years. But that's my policy and I'm not the boss of you.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

And how many watts can this PSU handle safely ?

I would like to know what does my computer risk by using this PSU.
And where will you place the gtx 1060 6gb? Low tier gpu, mid tier, or high tier ? Do i really need a 300€+ GPU for what i want to be able tondo with this PC (see first post for my computer's objectives).

Ty for your answer

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It doesn't quite work like that. It's like being told your brakes need to be replaced and asking the mechanic "OK, at what speed is it safe to drive without brakes?" Now, it's likely safer unstressed than stressed, but it'll always have poor-quality capacitors, it'll always trouble with ripple, with voltage regulation, etc. And junky power supplies risk either blowing up your PC completely or simply subtly damaging the parts over years due to poor filtering, etc. Now again, it's your risk, we're just trying to get you to understand what the risks are so that you can choose to accept the risk.

As for the 6 GB 1060, I'd classify it as a midrange GPU. If you want to be playing on a 144 Hz monitor regularly and running upcoming games without any FPS drops, I certainly wouldn't go any lower than a 1060 6 GB.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Ok so you recommend me to take better PSU.
I will play on a benq xl2411
I will mostly play Overwatch and a bit of csgo and some other games like sw battlefront 2 or cod ww2.
I will play around 15/20 hours per week with sessions of 3 to 7/8 hours maximum (not every time, maybe some week ends).
With i5 7600, gtx 1060 6gb, 16go ram, asrock b250m pro 4, maybe 120 go ssd.
Can u just recommend me a good psu around 50/70 € with all details i gave you ? Ty so much for your help :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It depends where you are, but on the budget end, the Seasonic 520/620 and the Corsair CXM 450/550 (with the black label, not the older line with the green label that wasn't very good) are both solid choices.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Feel free to pick any Seasonic unit, e.g: S12II-620, M12II-520 EVO, G-550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,nB3RsY,DPCwrH,bkp323/

Focus+ is the newest PSU line from Seasonic and it comes with 10 years of OEM warranty. Other listed Seasonic PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.

Since the PSU is the most important component inside the PC, that's why we suggest to get a better build quality PSU.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
[strike][/strike]

I replaced my old psu by this corsair in my PC. The PC is Dell Xps 8500 and the psu is 460w xps8500. Is this psu good build quality and usable in my new PC?
I got some blackscreens that i can't explain maybe its cuz of this power supply.
And must i put back my 460w xps 8500 psu ? I have i7 3770, amd hd 7870 2gb and 8gb ram.
One last thing, can u tell me what is the difference between the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition ?
Ty for your answer.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

In general, PSUs in prebuilt PCs are low end and made up from cheap components (to keep the PC's final price down). Without knowing who made the stock PSU for Dell, i can't say if it has better build quality than Corsair VS series or not. But the consensus is to consider that it isn't better and it may be same or even worse than Corsair VS series (build quality vise).

There are quite a few differences between Founders Edition and aftermarket one.

For one, FE edition is blower type GPU and all the hot air generated by the GPU are exhausted through the back of the GPU (where monitor ports are) and outside of the case. While open air type GPU dissipates the hot air from GPU to the insides of your case.
By cooling aspect, MSI Gaming X is better since it has 2 big fans on it while FE GPU has one small fan on it. Gaming X series GPU is also quieter since thanks to the Zero Frozr feature, the fans won't spin at all if GPU temp is below 60°C.

Also, aftermarket GPU has higher base and boost clocks than FE GPU and it performs a bit better.
Here's further reading with specs comparison: https://gpunerd.com/guides/best-gtx-1060-brand

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Okay, can you know if the price of the components will incrase or decrease for Christmas ? Will the GPU be cheaper or more expensive ? And i will maybe buy EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC cause its cheaper at the moment.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

I don't know if there are Christmas sales at those retail stores where you buy your components or not.
I buy all my PC hardware components from the importer and while they don't do any kind of seasonal sales, their prices are consistent and cheaper than in retail stores.

Feel free to buy any GTX 1060 6GB GPU you like.
I prefer MSI Gaming X series GPUs due to the best cooling (Torx 2.0 fans), quietest operation (Zero Frozr feature) and nice looks (black & red theme). I have MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3G GPU in my Skylake build and i'm very pleased with my GPU.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

"I buy all my PC hardware components from the importer", link plz ? and you don't know if thenprices are going to inscrease or decrease with time ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

You have no use of the importer i'm using unless you live in the same country as i do (Estonia). But if you want a link then here it is: https://www.galador.ee/
My entire Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig) is built up by buying individual components from Galador. From them, i've also bought several components to my Haswell and AMD builds as well.

As far as prices go, there have been certain events that have influenced the components pricing. The latest was Ethereum mining craze where mid-range GPU prices skyrocketed (GTX 1060, GTX 1070, RX 480, RX 580), up to the point where GTX 1070 costed almost as much as GTX 1080 Ti. Currently, the mining craze is over but it takes quite a bit of time until mid-range GPU prizes normalize.

Though, the upcoming Nvidia Volta lineup of GPUs can decrease Nvidia Pascal lineup GPU prices but Volta won't be available for end users until 2018.

birkos

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

So you think i must wait until the Volta lineup is avaible for sales to get my GTX 1060 ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

In my opinion, it's not worth to wait it. If you need a PC then buy the currently available components within your budget and be a happy user.

Since PCs are the most fastest advancing technology in the world and if you keep waiting, you'll end up waiting for forever without ever having a PC with "best priced" components.
For example, if you wait for the Volta which is due to release in January-February of 2018, you're looking 5-6 months just for waiting it. By the time Volta is released, Intel's newest line of CPUs (Cannonlake) is also around the corner in 2-3 months time. While CPU itself may be available, the wait for 300-series chipset MoBos may take another 1-2 months after CPU release. With all this waiting, you can easily waste 1 year in hopes for "best price".

Only 2 events can lower component prices: 1. Loss of demand. 2. Surplus of stock.
As long as there is demand after said component and the retail store doesn't overstock it's inventory, there's no reason for price drop.

Demand influenced pricing is best seen with PSUs where 600W range PSU can cost more than 700W range PSU just because of the fact that the 600W PSUs are needed more than 700W PSUs. For example: Seasonic M12II-620 EVO costs more than Seasonic M12II-750 EVO. By paying €3 less, you can get extra 130W of PSU output power,
pcpp: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/zTdqqs,Tc3RsY/