Question Can you trust a pre built mini pc?

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
Hello.
I usually build my own computer. But now got a mini pc with a pre installed os .
And i somehow have the question if i can trust it.

What are precautions to take?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In what way do you mean "trust"?

For instance, if build quality is a concern just about the only way to know is either to search for reviews. If not the exact model, then the company making them overall.

The other instance would be installed bloatware, which is a concern with any prebuild.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
I meant security concerns.

And if i load a windows from microsoft to make a fresh install, would the hardware key of the mini pc be automatically recognized?

The general question is:
Is it likely that someone produces a computer and puts malware on it? Many people buy a computer and they use it. I never did that. So i can not get this question away.

USAFRet

Titan
And if i load a windows from microsoft to make a fresh install, would the hardware key of the mini pc be automatically recognized?
Yes.
I did with mine.

Is it likely that someone produces a computer and puts malware on it? Many people buy a computer and they use it. I never did that. So i can not get this question away.
Highly unlikely.
But, buy from somewhere reputable.

The general question is:
Well, the manufacturers often make deals with various software vendors so that there is put software on the computers that have a limited working time, and after that one have to pay a full license for that software. Mostly because the typical customer doesn't know that the software in question is not needed. So it's probably good money for the manufacturers.

About the trust. Well, in most cases there is not preinstalled actual malware, but I've read about exceptions in the past so trusting that 100% I don't know about.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
So, nothing can go wrong if i make a fresh install. The hardware drivers and keys will be there again and work.
Right?
And i could do the fresh install from the desktop of the mini pc or would that defeat the purpose? (Maybe i remember the procedure wrong). So i dont need to plug something external in.

USAFRet

Titan
So, nothing can go wrong if i make a fresh install. The hardware drivers and keys will be there again and work.
Right?
And i could do the fresh install from the desktop of the mini pc or would that defeat the purpose? (Maybe i remember the procedure wrong). So i dont need to plug something external in.
Given a basic OS install, you will have to install the hardware drivers yourself.
They should be freely available from the manufacturer.

The license key should be just fine.

You do this install via booting from a properly created USB.

Here, for WIn 10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I wouldn't go so far as to use the word malware. Of no doubt a lot of the bloat and crap apps put on a PC are redundant to functions already existing in Windows and certainly common for them to be collecting user data to send back home...but, Windows itself does this. I guess the question in that becomes whether any of these bloat items are also tied to specific functionality outside of something Windows is already doing.

I would be considering a reputable brand from a reputable outlet.

USAFRet

Titan
I wouldn't go so far as to use the word malware. Of no doubt a lot of the bloat and crap apps put on a PC are redundant to functions already existing in Windows and certainly common for them to be collecting user data to send back home...but, Windows itself does this. I guess the question in that becomes whether any of these bloat items are also tied to specific functionality outside of something Windows is already doing.

I would be considering a reputable brand from a reputable outlet.
Yes, "bloatware".

'PC Doctor', 'Driver Updater', the entirety of a trial version of Norton with all of its weirdness.

If that exists, a full wipe and reinstall of a bare OS is needed.

My last two "prebuilt" systems did not need this.
The above mentioned Beelink, and a MS Surface 3 Go laptop. Both of which had NO extra weird software.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
There was no bloatware. Just some icons of instagram, tik tok, amazon video and such things in start menu. One click to uninstall. Apart from tik tok it looked like things that come with a windows, but i read even tik tok might come with 11.
Did a full scan with defender, an offline scan afterwards. Cloud submission of files enabled.
And a scan with eset online scanner.
Nothing was found.

When starting the computer, it was the set up stuff stage, language, etc.

If i need the drivers from the producer for a clean install, i thought it would not make much difference if i trust the machine or the drivers instead.

But by the looks of what i described, is it reasonable to not pursue the concerns?

USAFRet

Titan
If i need the drivers from the producer for a clean install, i thought it would not make much difference if i trust the machine or the drivers instead.
After a full wipe and reinstall, the PC does not get the drivers, Windows does.

It is far far better for you to be proactive, and get the most recent drivers direct from the manufacturer.
Save these on a small flash drive for later use.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
After a full wipe and reinstall, the PC does not get the drivers, Windows does.

It is far far better for you to be proactive, and get the most recent drivers direct from the manufacturer.
Save these on a small flash drive for later use.
I could extract the drivers with a windows function, i guess. Did not find drivers for that pc on the homepage. And the forum said, to install the system that comes with drivers. And someone else described a way to extract drivers with said windows function.
Will do that anyway.

I am just not sure if i need to reinstall. And if that makes a point if i need to use the drivers of the producer anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
I could extract the drivers with a windows function, i guess. Did not find drivers for that pc on the homepage. And the forum said, to install the system that comes with drivers. And someone else described a way to extract drivers with said windows function.
Will do that anyway.

I am just not sure if i need to reinstall. And if that makes a point if i need to use the drivers of the producer anyway.
If there's no bloatware, you probably do not need to do a full reinstall at this time.

However, the inclusion of "icons of instagram, tik tok, amazon video and such things in start menu "....that does not come with a basic Win 11 install.
At least not in my systems.

an5io_oleka

Honorable
May 8, 2018
If there's no bloatware, you probably do not need to do a full reinstall at this time.

However, the inclusion of "icons of instagram, tik tok, amazon video and such things in start menu "....that does not come with a basic Win 11 install.
At least not in my systems.
I found several mentionings of these things, and an image that showed the same on reddit. One was on a microsoft forum, and the reply was, around "these are ads pinned to start menu".
Just for the info.