Canadians! Cable vs. ADSL

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This applies to everywhere I guess, but to Canadians in particular.

I live and work in Toronto (downtown) and in the last 2 weeks I have had both Sympatico HSE (ADSL) and Rogers Cable internet. Now, if you're curious as to which is better, I'll lay it out for you.

Service:
Rogers intallations are nightmares. If yo uhave their TV service, this is the same thing only worse. They stood me up twice before they finally showed up. On the other hand, they are always easy to get on the phone, and do attempt to be helpful.

Sympatico: I did a self install, and it went pretty smooth. I signed up online and they sent me the package by courier. Their phone support can be lacking at times, as I'm pretty sure that they do not have many people who know that much about ADSL or how it works. Finally, Sympatico billing is hopeless. If you have delt with them before, you probably know what I mean.

Software:
Rogers software is actually pretty slick. They include security tools and a support tool if you're having problem with the service. A very nice touch is that they had the drivers for the included network card on the CD, which was good because I blew my floppy drive while trying to set up the NIC. On the down side, you still have to set up the network section of the control panel by hand in Win9X systems, and I could do without the Rogers@home browser overlay (Think Neoplanet, just not customizable.)

Sympatico: The software installed fine, but the user still must set up the Network settings in the control panel, and the proxy setting in the internet options. Additionlly, the service requires you to 'dial in' over the ADSL line, not unlike a standard modem (Rogers acts more like a standard network connection.) I have noticed that the Sympatico connection requires a noticeable amout of system resources on my P2-350.

Performance:

Here's the part everyone is interested in. These numbers are estimations based on actually using both services for a while. I tried to choose arbitrary test sites that would favour wither niether or both services.

1) News server downloads:
You can argure that one service may have a better Usenet server, or that one may have less users that another, and that this is not a fair test of the connection. You're right. But, I don't care how fast the connection can be, I care how fast it is when I'm using it. A Ferrari might go 200 MPH, but if you're in traffic, give me somthing with comfy seats.
I tested both services with X-News by downloading multiple 800K files (inline binaries) off of random binary newsgroups:
Sympatico News: Start: 60-80 kb/s Mid: 140-160 kb/s High: 200 kb/s
Rogers News: Start: 150-160 kb/s Mid: 220-240 kb/s High: 310 kb/s

Next I downloaded a file from http://idirect.tucows.com (if you are in toronto, or the surrounding area, there is a building on front street between Union station and SkyDome where 90% of all internet traffic in Toronto passes through. Idirect has their Tucows affiliated servers in this building. It will always be the fastest possible download for anyone in the toronto area.) I chose this site because it is hosted by Idirect (which is now LOOK) so it's a good impartial test. The test was a 5 meg file through IE5.5
Sypmatico: average: 140-150 Kb/s
Rogers: average: 210-240 Kb/s

Finally, just to test a theory, I used one connection to ping the others DNS server. This is a test that can mean either nothing, or alot, depending on how you interpret it.
Sympatico connection, pinging the Rogers DNS server:
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 118.824/139.887/157.342/12.818 ms
Rogers connection pinging a Sympatico DNS server:
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 86.971/102.033/170.167/24.703 ms

I'm going to refrain from making too many comments and just let every one draw their own conclusions. In case you're curious, these tests were done between 12 and 1 AM on Monday nights (one this week, one last week) This eliminates the Sympatico peak hour bottle-neck, but may also effect the number of users on the Rogers network.

Please post any comments or thoughts.

G

I am also in downtown Toronto.

I had Sympatico for a while, and then they implemented "pppoe" with outright lies about how it was an "Internet standard" when it wasn't. This was such absolute B.S. that I simply couldn't stand sending Bell money anymore.

Now I use Rogers @Home service. While the mail service has been unstable for the last few months, at least they acknowledge that fact and claim to be fixing the problem. Also, their tech support people seem to be competent and relatively helpful if you can get through to them.

The throughput has always seemed to be a bit better than ADSL, but I never did head-to-head comparisons as you did, so that's a pleasant surprise to see cable blow ADSL out of the water!

Rogers@Home still uses DHCP to assign IP addresses, so the service works well with whatever operating system I want to use. Since I use OpenBSD, Linux, WinNT and Win2k at various times, this is important to me.

Since the connection is "always on", it is necessary to be careful. I always run a firewall and I watch the logs carefully.

JS

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have sympatico, and love it for my Windoze system, no problems whatsoever. But I can't seem to be able to set it up on Linux... found new documents on their website now, I'll try that too, but it's just too much trouble:(

Still, can't say that I'll switch to cable just because of that... the mere thought of going through all the trouble of switching ISPs... .brrh... I get shivers:(

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I forgot..
THANX for the review! :)
It's refreshing to see somebody going through all that trouble...
things tend to degrade into "ADSL/Cable Sucks!" "Cable/ADSL Rules!" after a while :-<

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I figured I had some good info, and I felt like sharing.

For a long time I was a staunch supporter of ADSL (not Sympatico, but ADSL) but now I am pretty much convinced that cable is probably the better choice.

G

Now when talking about DSL Sympatico gives you a dedicated DSL line which runs at max speed. In the US the DSL lines are split and some users pay what we pay the same price for a DSL line that runs at 15kbyte per sec. So if you look at it this way then DSL in Canada rocks!

Now for the cable connection. Rogers shares their connection but it kinda fast and then there is Videotron in Quebec. My buddy (with Rogers) can only reach 180k/sec with his cable connection and my buddy with Videotron has a sustained 300-500kbyte/sec connection!!! This is true, also Videotron garanties a minimum of 100kbyte/sec between you and the server. And also you get a dedicated cable line that is converted to fiber-optic once it leaves your home, maybe that's why it's so damn fast. But comparing speed, with Sympatico I have reached 225kbyte/sec with Sympatico DSL but usually obtain a sustained 80 - 140kbyte/sec connection. Now I'm only familiar with Videotron and Sympatico.

Networking:
-Videotron: 3 IP's, each dedicated (cost extra)
-Symaptico: 2 IP's, each dedicated (need hub but free)

Now if Videotron was everywhere in Canada I would be with them, they offer the smae price rates as Sympatico. There is Rogers but it's 20$/month more than Sympatico and the modem overheats causing the connection to slowly degrade. Therefore I am with Sympatico and am happy with my 1.4 - 1.8mps connection. I have a hub and my dad is also connected at the same speeds, each with our own dedicated line, never shared!

In other words, unless they stop sharing cable connections and upgrade their servers or make it fiber optic the it's DSL for me. But if it's Videotron, then it's Videotron all the way.

Plus I made the impossible work, I have a version of Access Manager that works wih Windows ME!! I found it on a sympatico site too.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> I have reached 225kbyte/sec

Now, this is strange to me; as far as I know, you get a 1 megabit (Nortel?) modem with sympatico ADSL -- I got the same modem in Winnipeg,MB as I do in Toronto,ON. One megabit is 128KiloBytes. So there's NO WAY you can get raw data at 225Kbytes/sec if you have the same modem that I do. Just isn't. Just like you can't get 60kbits/sec on a 56.6kbit modem:)
However, you can get that amount of data downloaded after various compressions, protocols etc... but than all bets are off and comparisons become meaningless...

Somebody help me understand please:)

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh yeah, I'm getting a new computer with WinME... are you saying that my current version of access manager won't work???
If you could post the link to the version which works, I'd be very grateful:):):)
Thanx:)

G

About the 225k/sec, I was just checking those theoretical values. I have never actually downloaded something at that speed for more than half a second if not less. You know when you check your connection speed when your downloading, it usually stays at about 1.4mbs but sometimes (rarely) gets to 1.8mps. I'm using the Alcatel Modem. They are capable of 8mps. i guess me and my dad together we download 2mps-2.8mps on average when we both use it at the same time.
Also check www.regedit.com or www.speedguide.net for some DSL speed tweaks.

Anyways, what might interest you is the link to Access Manager that works with WinME!

Here it is:
ftp://download.sympatico.ca/hse/Sym-Win-En141.exe

It's the same version I'm using, works well.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got a Nortel 1 (one) Megabit Modem, I'm a residential customer in Etobicoke, paying about $40 a month, subscribed in September (hade the same model before that in Winnipeg MB)... maybe they just don't like me as much? :)

G

I don't think it's that. Maybe they gave you a different model or something?

About the speed, it is correct and I verified, it's all about compression!! Without it I couldn't reach those speeds.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
THANX! :)
I used the Access Manager link for my Win2k and WinME -- the version I had on CD would work on neither OS:(

Anyhoo, yup, they apparently gave me a different modem (thus my insinuation they like me less:)
Oh well, its good enough for now, if it ever becomes a bother I'll bug them for an upgrade:)
Thanx again:)

G

In Saskatoon the Sasktel Sympatico DSL subscribers I know are happier than the Shaw Cable subscribers. I personally don't know because I'm paying $0 a month using Netzero 56Kbps free dialup at home.

TRENDING THREADS