[SOLVED] Cancer warning from state of California on hyper x cloud 2 headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOneAndOnly1

Reputable
May 4, 2016
Worried about this label that came on my new headset it says "This product contains things that are known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects" Should i be worried about this as the headset is a bit worn ive had it for a few years

Worried about this label that came on my new headset it says "This product contains things that are known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects" Should i be worried about this as the headset is a bit worn ive had it for a few years
I think California tends to go overboard.

Google "Why does everything cause cancer in California?"

Wolfshadw

Titan
Pretty sure you can relax. It just there on the extremely off chance that it has a one in eleventy-billion chance of causing cancer. If it does and the headsets are found to be the cause, they can legally state, "You were warned" and any law suit would be thrown out.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan
Disneyland_Prop_65_Warning_crop.jpg

Reactions: TJ Hooker
They force feed stuff to mice, rats, rabbits, etc. in amounts that typically equate to many pounds per day for 30-40 years in human terms, and then, when the inevitable happens (cancer, kidney problems, obesity, flatulence, a strange attraction to Rosie O'Donnell, etc.) then they demand that labels be placed on absolutely everything containing even trace amounts of the tested substances. In other words, just live your life and ignore most of those warnings.

I avoid issues like this by not going to California. It seems everything is more dangerous there. If you live in places like China you can line your baby crib with lead and mercury, in California you have to weigh a feather to make sure it meets requirements before you can put it into a hat. In between that you have common sense and actual livable health hazards.

This has to be one of the most useless health warning systems ever, and I can only imagine how much money is wasted enforcing compliance. The biggest problem I see with Proposition 65 is that it never provides any specifics about why a product is labeled, or any indication of how likely the product is to cause harm, making the labels mostly useless.

Does the product simply contain a bit of lead solder inside the device on its circuit boards? Does the plastic housing contain some potentially harmful chemical? Did the manufacturer just add the label in the off-chance that their product might happen to contain something potentially harmful? How does the product's level of exposure compare to the ever-present background radiation that everyone is constantly exposed to from space? Would you need to lick the product every day for it to have any remote chance of causing harm to you? Who knows?

And the labels have been becoming so common on products lately that people will probably just ignore them in most cases, defeating the purpose of the entire system. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the stress that comes from seeing these vague warning labels everywhere causes more health issues than the products themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.