Cannot access all contents of Hard Drive from another computer

socialfox

Distinguished
Hi there,

Pulled out an Hard Drive from another computer and put it into mine because it would not boot and get bluescreens when attempting to load Windows XP. Now my own Hard Drive has Windows 7 and when I access the secondary drive I can only view around 20gb of the files but windows states around 200gb to have been used. What do I need to do to view the remainder of the files? I have checked the hidden files folder but that doesn't reveal any new folders that contain stuff. My intent is to backup the drive by copying only the important files.

- Thanks for your time :)

Solution
I would do a thorough CHKDSK on that drive by running chkdsk /r.

Then see if that resolves your issue. If that does not do it, I would recommend you go to the root of that drive and take ownership of it and grant yourself explicit full control rights to it and all subfolders and files and see if that fixes it.

If you still get to folders that show they are empty, but you know they should not be, then do the same thing by taking ownership and giving yourself explicit full control rights to the folder and all subfolders and files.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I would do a thorough CHKDSK on that drive by running chkdsk /r.

Then see if that resolves your issue. If that does not do it, I would recommend you go to the root of that drive and take ownership of it and grant yourself explicit full control rights to it and all subfolders and files and see if that fixes it.

If you still get to folders that show they are empty, but you know they should not be, then do the same thing by taking ownership and giving yourself explicit full control rights to the folder and all subfolders and files.

Solution

socialfox

Distinguished

Thanks for answering, found out about that taking ownership a few minutes ago and it worked. Thanks for confirming that in your post :)

- Have a wonderful 2013!!! :)