Question Cannot access Google sites - page appears for a few seconds before error shown

Rivermonster

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hello,
I have a strange problem. About a week ago I started to have problems trying to access Google search (www.google.com, www.google.es, www.google.co.uk). The page appears for a few seconds before I am shown a "This page is having a problem" error message (error code=STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR".

One week on and I am still having problems and they seem to be with all Google sites, not just the search page. For example, when I open Gmail directly it shows my mailbox for about five seconds before an "isn´t responding" pop-up appears and then the screen goes blank and is replaced with the "This page is having a problem" error message. Similar behaviour with Google Drive and any other Google site.

The same happens no matter which browser I use - Edge, Chrome, Firefox, CCleaner.

I don't have any problems with accessing non-Google sites.

I have a VMware virtual pc installed on my machine. I tried accessing Google from a browser inside the virtual machine and did not have any problems, so this rules out issues with my router or ISP.

I have found a workaround for accessing the Google search page. It seems that if I "pre-load" the URL with a search parameter like this it works;
"https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=test"
In this case, the search results page opens and stays open for me to work with. Unfortunately, I cannot use this workaround to access gmail, Google Drive, Classroom etc.

I have seen suggestions to set the DNS Server in my network adapter to point to either Google or OpenDNS servers. Tried that but it did not work.

I ran a virus scan -no issues detected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adrian

Last edited:

Rivermonster

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Shortly after my last post, my PC crashed irrecoverably and I ended up reinstalling the OS on a new drive. All Google sites now work fine. The old drive is not corrupt though - I was able to access all my files on it and crystaldiskinfo does not show any errors, so I have no idea why I had the Google issue or why my system crashed, but I guess they are related.