Jan 13, 2021
Hey all

My PC recently crashed with an abrupt black screen and wouldn't turn back on. The DRAM debug LED lit up when trying to boot up, so naturally I removed one RAM stick from the 4th slot and successfully rebooted. Once I got video it brought up an error message pre-bios which read:

"Memory Overclocking fail.
System is boot up with default settings.
Press F1 to run BIOS setup."

I am using XMP profile 1 to use the 3200mhz speed which was advertised when I bought the RAM. I then swapped out the RAM sticks and was able to successfully boot with no problems, so it can't be a faulty/dead stick which has caused the problem. I have just updated the Motherboard's bios in hope of fixing the problem but that didn't work. Would anybody have an idea of what the problem is? Is it a dead RAM slot? The motherboard & RAM are only 6ish months old which is worrying...

My specs are

Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz CL 16 DDR4
Radeon RX 5600 xt

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks :)

which power supply are you using?

does it work without the XMP profile on both slots?

check both RAMs
check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

which bios version did you install? latest would be 7C02v3A2(Beta version)

Jan 13, 2021
which power supply are you using?

does it work without the XMP profile on both slots?

check both RAMs
check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

which bios version did you install? latest would be 7C02v3A2(Beta version)

The PSU I'm using is an EVGA 700W 80 plus bronze.

I tried to disable XMP but the memory speed doesn't revert to the original speed (2133 MHz i think?). I tried by just disabling XMP and it didn't work. Would I need to manually set the speed?

I ran memtest for both sticks with both of them passing.

I originally went to install 7C02v3A2(Beta version) but when I went into mflash it came up as the same bios that I was currently using (7C02v36). So instead I installed the second latest bios which isn't a beta version (7C02v39).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The PSU I'm using is an EVGA 700W 80 plus bronze.

I tried to disable XMP but the memory speed doesn't revert to the original speed (2133 MHz i think?). I tried by just disabling XMP and it didn't work. Would I need to manually set the speed?

I ran memtest for both sticks with both of them passing.

I originally went to install 7C02v3A2(Beta version) but when I went into mflash it came up as the same bios that I was currently using (7C02v36). So instead I installed the second latest bios which isn't a beta version (7C02v39).
Manually set the speed and timings and up the volts to 1.4 from 1.35