Question Cannot boot windows after Hard Drive triggered BSOD

Jul 28, 2024
Hi all,

I was accessing an old hard drive on my computer when a notification popped up from disk manager that I said something like I needed to format it to access it. I had however already accessed it, as it was open on file manager. I pressed ok to see where the message would take me, and then immediately the Blue Screen of Death appeared. Since then, whenever I load my computer it says - PXE MOF exiting PXE rom no bootable device, Reboot and select proper boot device or insert book media in selected boot device and press a key.

I have gone into bios to look at my boot priorities, Windows Boot Manager is not listed on there, and from what I can gather it should be. I have windows 10, boot mode is 'legacy+UEFI', and boot option one is my hard disk which is in the SATA1 port.

Computer details:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 8-Core 3.60GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX: M-ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 1x M.2
SSD: 1TB WD Green 2.5" SSD - 545MB/s Read (1 Drive)
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB - DX12(R) - VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP, 5 Monitor Support (Single Card)

I have tried various different settings in Bios such as changing to just UEFI rather than 'legacy+UEFI'. I created a windows bootable USB drive to load, which allowed me to bring up the screen where you could select 'repair'; however, it came back with nothing. When I load command prompt from that same place it has x:\sources, rather than my actual hard drive number with windows files accessible from it.

Tried searching for the drive the operating system is on by typing in - bcdedit |find “osdevice” - but nothing happened.

Am at a total loss as to how to get it to load, and have no idea what actually happened. I think what may have happened is that I accidently set the external hard drive to "disk 0", and now my computer can't find the disk with windows on it. But I don't know how to fix that from bios or command prompt, if that is even the issue.

Thanks very much for any help that anyone is able to provide.